What's new

Premier Tuning Stage 2 - CDTI

Goodluckmonkey

TA Friends
Reaction score
Car
CN2
People have many various reasons for mapping their cars, and expectations of the results, however I wasn't prepared for how polished the final product was.

The main things I wanted were reduced lag, and stronger performance below 2500rpm.

Fahad came over and performed an EGR blank and stage 2 tune on my car this afternoon.

He started by performing a full diagnostic on the motor, which was great for me, as it proved that everything was performing correctly.
My butt dyno was telling me that I had a sweet motor, but it was nice to see that the injectors and turbo were performing correctly before we started, and that we would therefore see the true performance potential of the motor.
(Added to the fact that I knew I had a fresh clutch and flywheel, and the motor was as good as it could be)

He worked some magic, then I was able to see and feel the results on a test drive.

WOW!

The motor's smoother and more responsive from the get-go, and will even haul the mail if you really let it stretch it legs.

My laggy diesel now has all the crisp performance of a petrol, combined with fantastic, linear pull.
I'm a little short on superlatives to describe how much better it is, but it's a total revelation.
I've never been one to be impressed by power or torque figures, and am more concerned with feel and response.
I thought I'd be trading one for the other here, but it would appear that you can have your cake AND eat it - every single aspect of the way it drives is improved.

For those of you who are considering mapping, or even just an EGR delete, this is possibly the best value for money mod you'll ever see.

Fahad summed it up perfectly - it's made it the car Honda should've built.

Congrats on getting it remapped.
Do you mind me asking what sort of miles have you got on your car? Mine just hit 96K and not sure if it is worth of going for it?
And the fact that my DMF is oem, will remap kill DMF?

Early days but any changes to mpg figures?

The motor and turbo have covered 90k.

I did a full week's commute the week before last (540 miles) In it and averaged 44.3mpg.
It's approx 80% motorway /dual carriageway, 15% traffic jam, and 5% horrific 10mph speed bumps.

I'll let you know how it goes this week for a direct comparison. It's the bit I'm interested in, as I've remapped purely for an mpg gain.

Thanks for the great feedback Matt. It was a long old trek to Kent but it's worthwhile when I read happy feedback like this.

Your motor is a credit to you, one of the nicest ictdi engines I've worked with in a while.

Enjoy!

Cheers Fahad.

I'm pretty meticulous when it comes to ***embling motors for my race bikes.

I was as surprised as you were to be honest, it's been 15 years since I last did anything more than an oil change on a car engine, so to see the diagnostics coming up so nicely was a treat.

Once I've ironed out all the other kinks, I'm sure I'll have a great commuter in that car.

It's nice to have someone doing the work who obviously has high standards, and the way the car performs is testament to both the standards set by Premier Tuning and Elite.

Buying an old rattler for work is starting to get a bit out of hand.

In case anyone missed it in another thread, Matt bought a cheap ictdi with a rattling chain and it snapped after a week.

He then went about swapping the n22a1 engine with a low mileage donor unit from a civic which was the n22a2 unit. He modified bits including the injectors and turbocharger to fit and make good bits out of both donor units to achieve a lovely smooth running and extremely quiet ictdi. The injector calibration showed the best results I've seen yet on a Honda and the engine is silky smooth..

Perhaps the most impressive thing of all.. He did it all on his driveway and had never worked on a Diesel engine before!

The results of that motor swap on my drive just go to show that anyone can achieve anything.
That motor is just the result of a little care and attention, and more importantly recognising and focusing on the important things.

All I did with the motor was put new pump and timing chains in. The guides and tensioners were in great condition, so they went back in.

The real important things for me were cleaning the injector seats (I bought a seat cutter to clean with) and ensuring a good seal (I re-annealed and re-used the old washers).

I can always do a write-up on the injector nozzle swaps, which I did due to wear in the old needles.

Injector condition, cleanliness and installation are all that set this apart from any other motor that has covered the miles. (I'll do a little tutorial once I've tidied my garage, as I have some spare injectors on my workbench)

-------------------------------------------------------------

The drive to work this morning was good.
Returned 43mpg with me giving it lots of throttle everywhere as I'm learning how it'll pull each gear.

I'll go for a normal run on the way home and see how it gets on as it should have worked out all it variables by now.

Quite a few long hills in my journey, and it's dealing with them using far smaller throttle inputs, and my OBD2 seems to agree.

Should fill the tank in a couple of days, then be able to draw a proper comparison, as this one's a bit of a write-off due to the losses from injector nozzle swaps and mapping.

Fortunately I took loads of pictures along the way.

This is the crud that comes out of an injector seat.

If you're trying to fit an injector on the top of that, you'll never seal it properly and suffer injector blow-by until it cements itself into the head.

The other issue is that the nozzle will not be projecting the correct depth into the combustion chamber, which will affect its efficiency.

Same goes for ensuring that the threads of the injector holding-down collars are clean so that the injectors seat as Honda intended.
(Both those in the head, and the torx bolt)
I filled the head threads with brake cleaner and syringed the debris out too - any crud or fluid that prevents the torx bolt tightening correctly will lead to a poorly fitted injector.

Annealed copper seats (notice how they're fat looking) just hear them to cherry red and plop them in water. It's like magic, and it's free. (And critical in this situation - unless you want to buy new ones from Honda, but I'll not spend money where it's not necessary)
Also works for brake line washers.

Great stuff love the enthusiastic motorist

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Just found this thread looking for some information, and thought I'd add an update.

I loaned the accord to my sister a couple of years ago because it was sitting awaiting sale, and her Corsa had a headgasket failure. Two weeks has become 2+ years, (I've MOT'd it 3 times since) and the Accord now has around 230k miles on it.

Same ECU tune, same clutch and DMF that went in 90k miles ago when I put an N22A2 Civic motor in it. Its been run on 5w30 with 6k mile oil change intervals, and the motor now has around 160k on it. I beat on it mercilessly every day, and the only failure it had was it snapped the shaft in the turbo 7k ago. I believe it blew the end tank off the intercooler, oversped the turbo trying to make its 22psi boost target, and blew its brains out. A £65 used replacement off eBay fixed that.

I beat on that car like it owed me money for around 80k of those miles, and it just took it like a champ, and still pays its way.

10/10 for that remap. All the go with none of the component stress.

Last edited:
Thanks for circling back Matt, really good to see you keeping this motor running and pleased to hear it continues to serve you so well.

I was prompted by an Facebook messenger post I recieved from a guy who needs to put an N22A2 motor in an N22A1 car.
Of course, that was 8 years ago now that I checked some part numbers and did the swap, and I couldn't remember half of the parts I had to change over.

Like every Accord I've owned, what was meant to be a stop-gap purchase amounted to years of ownership. Every time I drive it when I have it back to service it, I'm Reminded of what a good car it is.

Now if Honda would just produce a hydrogen-powered accord wagon for the UK, I'd be a happy man.