What's new

Problem starting

Masterjee

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord ICTDI
Hi guys, I have a Accord 07 2.2 CDTi - Stage 1 remap. All going well.
I get a ring from my wife picking up the kids from school. The car wouldn't start. Went there and found people pushing it. One bloke seemd to know what he was talking about - said it was the starter motor. Put it in second and they pushed it and got it rolling and it started.

Took it to a mechanic - the problem would not repeat. We tried it several time and it always started.

No problem with it for a week - went to it today same problem. The battery was green, it seemed to turn over but would not start. Put some jump leads on it and it started. Took it for a spin, about 3 miles. Left it for about an hour and a half and it started no problems.

I don't know what to do as my wife drives this car and she wouldn't know how to jump start it.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Shanks,.

Hi guys, I have a Accord 07 2.2 CDTi - Stage 1 remap. All going well.
I get a ring from my wife picking up the kids from school. The car wouldn't start. Went there and found people pushing it. One bloke seemd to know what he was talking about - said it was the starter motor. Put it in second and they pushed it and got it rolling and it started.

Took it to a mechanic - the problem would not repeat. We tried it several time and it always started.

No problem with it for a week - went to it today same problem. The battery was green, it seemed to turn over but would not start. Put some jump leads on it and it started. Took it for a spin, about 3 miles. Left it for about an hour and a half and it started no problems.

I don't know what to do as my wife drives this car and she wouldn't know how to jump start it.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Shanks,.

Your battery is dead. Buy a new one and your problems will be solved. simples

There was someone else on here that had a similar issue IIRC - turned out his battery was the wrong one - best check it is the correct spec for the car. While you're at it, get it checked at the garage.

Agree with Neil hear Shanks the last couple of threads was about dead battery's.
I would get a health check on it 1st to be 100% but it certainty sounds like the problem.

BUT the battery indicator shows green.

That does not mean all the cells are working. This is fairly common on the 7th gen Accord. The Battery is very small for the car and when it gets toward the end of its life you get problems such as yours. Take it to a battery centre and get them to check it and i bet you your battery is not producing enough grunt. Excuse the technical terminology.
If your alternator was dodgy your lights would dim etc as you drive until the battery drains. And if it is a sticky starter motor you would hear it ticking when you turn your key to start the car.

Modern cars use a lot of energy just to start. If there is some life in the battery it will turn over but not start.

Thanks guys - any ideas which battery is best for this car? There are so many choices! I looked at a battery for my Civic and does it make any difference about 4 or 5 year warranty?

Thanks again.

Thanks guys - any ideas which battery is best for this car? There are so many choices! I looked at a battery for my Civic and does it make any difference about 4 or 5 year warranty?

Thanks again.

To be honest i cant help you with this question. But what i will say is go to a vehicle battery shop and not Halford's etc as you will get ripped off.

When my battery went down it was also still showing green. I looked around to get prices for the correct spec battery, one place I checked was Halfords. In the end I was surprised, because the best priced battery was at the main Honda dealer. At least buying it there, I knew I was getting the right battery for the CTDI. It came with a 3year warrenty and cost about £65.00

You want to get the highest output possible for the size of space. 5 year warranty is also a handy extra.

there have been a few threads about batteries, so if you run a search you should find the names of the various ones we have installed.

Alternatively give HH a ring and see what they can do with the club discount.

My personal opinion is the Honda one is way underpowered for this engine. I put in a bosch silver with a higher CCA rating when we started having problems with the oem one. One year on, no issues whatsoever.

Under Honda Happiness fixed price servicing, the battery is £85 fitted. Seems a fairly good deal to me.

http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/partsandservicing/fixedpricerepairs/

Under Honda Happiness fixed price servicing, the battery is £85 fitted. Seems a fairly good deal to me.

http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/partsandservicing/fixedpricerepairs/

wow thats expensive!
i got my battery from a honda dealer for £46! less than a year ago.

My battery also died, it still showed green, but would not start intermitantly. new battery solved the issue :)

My personal choice would be a genuine Honda battery but that's me.

My personal opinion is the Honda one is way underpowered for this engine. I put in a bosch silver with a higher CCA rating when we started having problems with the oem one. One year on, no issues whatsoever.

Hi Saj, was it this one? They quote £80 for it - anyone seen it cheaper?

http://www.carbatteriesonline.co.uk/bosch-s5-car-battery.php

lets hope CJ doesnt see this thread with all this talk of fitting extra 'bosch' parts!

standard honda diesel battery is fine for the job!

Bosch silver batteries are also sold at Costco.
I'll try and find out the price next time I'm there.

i think i had the same problem last week, where my car had been sitting for 2weeks, the battery completely died :( there was a recovery truck near by who gave it a junp start but it would not crank over, we tried several times when he said it sound like the starter motor :unsure: he told me to rock form first and second and get out and rock the car backwards and forwards(a bit sceptical at this method) but we tried again and hey presto it fired up,on the second attempt lol.how very strange...

Shanks, common issue with the ICTDI - just buy a new battery from Honda with a 3 year warranty.

Just on this, when did you Diesel boys replace your battery?
I'm still on my original 70k 6 1/2 years later - never failed....:D

Oct 2010 - but only as preventative maintenance. I'd rather not wait till it dies.. It was 6 years old by then.

changed mine at the same time as faddy. 130k roughly, and although it started ok, it had nothing left.

Numerous tests had said it was fine.

changed mine at the same time as faddy. 130k roughly, and although it started ok, it had nothing left.

Numerous tests had said it was fine.

Mine's done just over 136k! So I think it's due a new one. I've got the one Saj recommended - anything I should be aware of? I don't have a lot of experience at this. Do I just undo the old one and get the new one in? No impact on alarm/immobiliser/key pairing? It's just that I had problems with the Civic!

Thanks for ALL your help guys.

You might loose your radio presets, but it should not affect anything else.

I had my battery disconnected for quite a while this weekend and there were no ill effects.

just to confirm guys mine is completely dead(as in wont open or close the doors on fob :( ) still the original honda battery only 79'000 on clock too