What's new

Problem with emission control system

JohnnyG

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 itctdi
Engine has cut out when accelerating and this week on motorway travelling at 70mph. Malfunction light, anti lock and VSA indicators start flashing.
Power ***it steering lost. Turned ignition off and waited 3mins then restarted and malfunction indicator remains on for the rest of journey (approx 1hr). Next morning light still on for 2mile journey then turn off and then restarted and light goes out and remained off for 2 days to date.

Have a look at this like fella.

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/1019-i-cdti-engine-cuts-out-when-accelareting/

Welcome along John,

As Brett has pointed you, fuel filter is the likely suspect.

If you know anyone with a code reader, get them to pull of the codes for you.

The fuel filter not being replaced or being replaced with a non Honda part is the main cause of issues on the Accord.

Have you notice any orange lights on the dash, previously flashing on and then going off prior to this event?

Also John, if you start your car for 30 seconds and turn it off again repeating this process 3 times, if the same fault doesn't occur the light goes out, so that is why your light has gone off and you can use this process if you want the light to go off sooner rather than driving around with it on. The fault code will however be stored so if you know someone who has a reader then they maybe able to tell you. As the guys above said it likely the Fuel filter, but good luck.

Hi Guys

Thanks for the comments

Drove 225 miles without a stop from Gatwick to Northwich ( as I do every weekend) late last night and the car was fine, runs so well. Its in the local garage I have used for years and mentioned the fuel fliter to them and they ***ured me they use Honda parts. So will have to wait and see what the outcome is and let you know.
Again thanks for the comment

John

If you can get a good look at the filter it should have Bosch wrote on it. Was it changed recently?

Hi Guys

Only able to have a Bosh filter fiited last Saturday to replace the new non Bosh one that had been mistakenly fitted a couple of weeks ago. During these two weeks the car had cut out twice each time after trav elling betweem 120 and 130miles at night with heavy rain on the motorway. The car did miss occassionally when accelerating but never cut out. Have twice travel the 230 mile journey home during daylight/dry weather without stopping for a break and the car not cutting out.
Since having the Bosh filter fitted the car accelerates great with no problems at all. Travelled down last Sunday from Northwich to Crawley in the pouring rain and car cuts out after 125 miles, after restarting cuts out again after another 20miles. Continue journey and no problems. The car runs and accelerates so well. Could it be an electrical fault?

I like the way they 'mistakenly' fitted a non genuine filter afer they ***ured you they only use Honda parts :rolleyes:

It could till be fuel related, i.e. new filter not fitted correctly, kinked hose etc or it could be anything else. To take the guesswork out you need to get the error codes read.

If you're only in Cheshire, get in touch with Pepster - he has the proper Honda diagnostic equipment and can run a complete diag for a reasonble fee.

I like the way they 'mistakenly' fitted a non genuine filter afer they ***ured you they only use Honda parts :rolleyes:

It could till be fuel related, i.e. new filter not fitted correctly, kinked hose etc or it could be anything else. To take the guesswork out you need to get the error codes read.

If you're only in Cheshire, get in touch with Pepster - he has the proper Honda diagnostic equipment and can run a complete diag for a reasonble fee.

Hi Fahad
Thanks for your comments. Is Pepster the name of the grarage of just the mechanics name and where in Cheshire is he located so I can get in touch

Cheers
John

Pepster is CJ, our resident Honda Stig.

some say he would bleed mft if you *****ed him; and that he is the product of an unholy union between ***imo and a first gen CRZ. all we know is...

he likes Honda somewhat ;)

CJ is co founder and part of the admin team here. He lives in Leeds matey - but get in touch, he might be in your area at some point and could do this for you.

Drop him a private message.