What's new

Puff of smoke at start up

Ger

Reaction score
Car
Honda accord 2.2
Hi All I have a 2009 accord 2.2 diesel, when my engine is cold and i start it , I get a puff of smoke from exhaust drives perfect besides, and doesn't happen when warm, from time to time I get a smell of fumes in car .thanks for any advice

Is the smoke fuel or oil? From experience I would say your dpf have been removed and not correctly remapped. You may also have a cracked egr or missing cat.

Is the smoke fuel or oil? From experience I would say your dpf have been removed and not correctly remapped. You may also have a cracked egr or missing cat.

Thanks for reply I only have the car a few weeks so that's very possible I will get it checked out

I have been getting a puff of white smoke on starting for a while now when cold. The car has had a remap, egr blanked and dpf removed. Any ideas what the cause may be?

White smoke would normally indicate a bit of water vapour is getting into the combustion chamber.. if it was dark grey or black I would say unburnt fuel, and if blue then engine oil. Is the engine losing any coolant?

I don't think so, haven't checked the coolant level though. Wouldn't I get a warning light if the coolant was low?

Actually I’m not sure if the Accord gives a low coolant warning, but I wouldn’t rely on that anyway even if it did, worth checking and keeping an eye on it. If it’s just a small wisp of white smoke on first startup and no other issues or loss of fluids, I wouldn’t be overly concerned. Even cold ambient conditions can cause this.

Hopefully just the cold conditions fingers crossed. Would the worst scenario be a head gasket starting to blow?

from time to time I get a smell of fumes in car .thanks for any advice

I had that when I bought my accord, the egr pipe was cracked. The cost of repair was almost as much as having an egr delete and remap, so I went for the latter.

Reactions: Ger
Hopefully just the cold conditions fingers crossed. Would the worst scenario be a head gasket starting to blow?
Potentially yes but there is no real known issue of head gasket failure on these engines. They’re highly capable of huge miles with basic regular maintenance. Don’t panic :)