What's new

Puncture Repair Kit

stuartmc

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer
My Accord got a puncture yesterday, a split across the tread and part way down the side wall so new tyre needed. But it made me think, mine doesn't have a spare and so if this had been a normal puncture and I had to use the repair kit and pump does this have a shelf life, Would my unused 2003 reapir kit be useless anyway. Also does using this kit kill the tyre and make it unrepairable too. If I could find a cheap space saver then I might go for that but was just wondering about the repair kit age.

I would say yes to all of the above..

The bottle of repair fluid has use by date on it IIRC it good for 2-3 yrs. The fluid does not render the tyre useless altho your local tyre fitter may charge more for cleaning the tyre out before the repair is undertaken.

like Andy said it doesn't render the tyre useless but from my experience tyre firms normally say it does

i think if you had a spare, even a space saver, would be better as in your case the tyre's split all the gunk in the world's not going to seal it then you have to get the car recovered

oh yes another thought if you get a spare don't forget you'll need a jack and wheel brace
My tourer has the repair kit and compressor, but i also found that it has a jack and ***ociated tools...is this normal?

Yes it's normal, you'd still need to be able to take the wheel off for tyre replacement as the fluid I think has a recommended 50mph and 50 mile limit. However I've found it quite nice to have four full size spare wheels, but only one in the car at a time.

Blimey! How many punctures do you get a year? I have just realised we have a fresh can of spray stuff from Halfrauds, but no compressor ;) .. Hey ho, the missus wouldn't know what to do with a flat tyre anyway!...

None! Bought them second hand from a 17" upgrader on THAOC, only cost only a little more than a single space saver (and I hate repair fluid) for a set matching my original 16" alloys. Was thinking about complete set of winter tyres and pot hole damage.

Don't bother with that stuff from halfords. its totally useless. When I tried to fix a roadside puncture with it it ran straight out of the [very small] hole and down the hill. When I took the wheel to Nat. Tyre Serv. Gateshead they wouldn't touch it because of the "hazardous chemicals". I rang the next nearest tyre depot [can't swear to it but I think it was Quickfit] and they wouldn't touch it either.
When I finally got the wheel to my local tyre depot all he did was run a windy wire brush over the inside before fitting a patch.
I actually bought two of these repair kits. The other one is in the bin where it belongs.
I now have a space saver.
Pete

I tend to agree Peter, I have a couple of spare wheels coming my way (hopefully) - but like I said, the missus drives the Honda most of the time, and wouldn't even bother to check if there is a spare anyway - straight onto the 4th Emergency service.

Thanks for the replies. So what size space saver fits and do I need to look for a 03-08 or do other years also fit?

Any one with the same rolling diameter and a PCD of 114.3 and a centre bore of 64.1mm

Best thing is it'll fit nicely into your space under your boot...

I still have three 16" wheels, from my 54 accord tourer, that can be purchased. they will fit into the well, and your tools will sit in the wheel. It was the first thing I did when I got the car, dump the mickey mouse tyre repair kit and get a spare, in fact I bought 4. They are not perfect but will get you out of trouble.
allfour.jpg