What's new

RAC Warranty

Bludclot

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.4i Exec
Hello all,
after buying the car 7 weeks ago, both rear calipers have seized and destroyed the discs and pads :( , All need to be renewed.
The warranty i got with the car is from RAC, they are saying they will only pay for the calipers ( and labour), and thats not even a definite yes :mad: , they need to be removed and investigated before any pay out descision is to be made.
If they do not pay out i will do the whole job myself, at a considerably cheaper price than what the garage has quoted.
Does anyone know of a good place to find new/ reconditioned calipers?
i have looked on ebay, but i am still unsure.

Many thanks, in advance.

Alex.

One of the normal probs on the tourer, quite a lot of info on here, this were I got mine rebuilt/replaced from

http://biggred.co.uk/

might be a god idea to replace the flexible pipes as well.

+1 on Big Red. I replaced both calipers myself also, but I didn't do the lines.

I'd imagine the RAC are not paying on the pads and rotors as these are considered wear items :(

But in reality, if you're handy with a spanner you could do the whole lot in under 3 hours including bleeding.

This is the one I bought recently...
http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/c/Honda_Accord_2.2_2005/p/car-parts/car-brakes/brake-hydraulics/brake-caliper/?133600431&1&5df16581746b69880e774f0ce5374e1c060ea42a&000048 and there's a fiver
discount off that with the CP4L homepage promo code, but then you do have to add on the delivery costs to return your old surcharged unit (I used iPostParcels).

Car warranties are pretty useless things really, IMHO... owners believe they give peace-of-mind but then discover all the exclusions when it's claim time.

+1 on Big Red. I replaced both calipers myself also, but I didn't do the lines.

I'd imagine the RAC are not paying on the pads and rotors as these are considered wear items :(

But in reality, if you're handy with a spanner you could do the whole lot in under 3 hours including bleeding.
Agree, it is a very easy job on the tourer. No special tools required!

Congrats on the car, great choice....I changed my nearside rear calliper earlier this year after it seized with a reconditioned replacement from brakepartssuperstore....we've all gone the reconditioned route because they cost a fortune new from Honda.

Hmmm ,problem you say , common you say , expensive you say ... think I might whip mine orf and do some preventative before the problem common expensive .

this common rear brake caliper siezed is it a 2.4 tourer common problem or it appears on 2.4 and 2.0 salon?

this common rear brake caliper siezed is it a 2.4 tourer common problem or it appears on 2.4 and 2.0 salon?
I've had to replace both of my rear calipers, but I've had the car for nearly 6 years (so not too bad). IMO, a far worse problem is the pads jamming in the sliders unless you carefully file down the edges to increase the clearance and lubricate them well regularly with Copaslip or Molykote grease. And I think the recon'd calipers are actually quite cheap.

Saloons have far more complex and expensive rear calipers... unlike on the tourer the handbrake mechanism is incorporated into the caliper.

Thank you all, I have done the job before on previous cars, and cos this one is (relatively ) new, it looks even easier cos all the bolt heads are the shape they are supposed to be and not rusted.
I am waiting for a call from the main stealer, today, to see what the actual fault is and whether the Warranty will pay for it.
From what i have researched, i'm really glad i didnt pay for the warranty myself. and i certainly wont take out another.
Oh the Joys of Christmas !! :unsure:

I'm finding it hard, atm, to see where the phrase " bombproof build quality" comes from !?!
Dont get me wrong, the car is awesome,
and if the calipers went after 6 months i wouldn't be such a moaning minnie, but after 7 weeks !! AAAARGHH

I'll update soon, unless i'm :angry:

Cheers all.

+1 for rear calliper fault on a 2.4 tourer. Had mine done about 3 months into ownership.

+1 for rear caliper problems on all the Hondas I own :lol:

No Go, as expected, the warranty wont pay, i told Honda it was their responsibility due to it being a Honda caliper failure..... They don't wanna know.
Ho-Hum, All parts ordered. Roll on the weekend.
Again, thanks all.

Seized rear brakes :rolleyes: ... I think we've all been there at least once :lol:

If yuo think the vendor should have "sorted" the car before you bought it then HE is your man!!, if a main agent sold to you then get on his case. PS things wear out and break down, if you have any doubts buy a vauxhall!!

If yuo think the vendor should have "sorted" the car before you bought it then HE is your man!!, if a main agent sold to you then get on his case. PS things wear out and break down, if you have any doubts buy a vauxhall!!
If i wanted to break down, I would've bought a Vauxhall, been there done that ! :lol:

I have a lot more trouble with my Toyota rear calipers than with the Honda. And they cost nearly twice as much for recon'd units.

no mention of how old the car Is either from the OP? SORRY did not read the intro properly, but as I said things do wear out and 7/8
years cannot be bad?

no mention of how old the car Is either from the OP? SORRY did not read the intro properly, but as I said things do wear out and 7/8
years cannot be bad?
The only thing bad is my luck. All parts ordered and delivered, ready for Accord Attack :ph34r: tomorrow.

http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/bludclot1/library/Mobile%20Uploads[/img]]

Done yesterday. Sweet.
Merry Christmas All

http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/bludclot1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20131220_121807_zpsqwl2xpfr.jpg.html

And a Happy New Year !!!!

NEW PADS?? NEW DISC'S?? Half a job!! and copper slip finishes off. forget the extra paint it will only burn off.

http://www.mister-auto.co.uk/en/rear-brake-discs/honda-accord-viii-tourer-cm-2-2-i-ctdi-140hp_v17486_g900008.html?promo&e=030

Are you on the edge of time to stop you wasting ppls time ?
New pads as old ones worn to ....
Discs were new in september this yr. So plenty of sacrificial meat still on contact surface.
Not warped either.
Bonus.
New Hel flexi's all round in the new yr, and brake line flush and refill. The stuff that came out of the old calipers was horrendous.

Are you on the edge of time to stop you wasting ppls time ?
New pads as old ones worn to ....
Discs were new in september this yr. So plenty of sacrificial meat still on contact surface.
Not warped either.
Bonus.
New Hel flexi's all round in the new yr, and brake line flush and refill. The stuff that came out of the old calipers was horrendous.

Sorry no wish to offend but those disc's look a bit grooved, and as such will ruin your pads. The heat generated during the "ruination" will have done them no good at all. Hope you have success and your fix works. I went that route but ended up replacing the whole shooting match. I am not trying to waste your time.

The discs were new in September and already look like that? You wanna check for binding callipers mate. I wouldn't expect discs to look that worn out after 3 months, unless you've done monster mileage.

Morning. Pads were £14. If they wear down in record time I will replace them again and the discs at the same time. But for now, I just want the car on the road again. Which now it is.
I have done 4k miles in 7 weeks since I got the car in october. I work away from home.
Honda diagnosed the seized calipers, and I replaced them.
Calipers from Bigg Red. Highly recommended. On this forum and by me.
Happy with this fix for now. Not perfect I agree, but theres always time.
Anyway my front calipers are feeling blue cos they have no blue. Luckily I have paint left.