What's new

Raising ride hieght

thinfourth

Members
Reaction score
Car
Landrover 90
Okay i know all about lowering the ride height with adjustable platforms etc.

However i want to raise the ride height of the other halfs accord estate as in the recent snow it tends to get stuck in snow drifts. Its not a lack of traction as it has snow tyres fitted its more it bellys out and you are stuffed.

So an extra inch in the winter might help.

So those of you with adjustable platforms how high can you go?

I ***ume that adjustable platforms are standard 2.5inch springs so you can spec soft ones instead of silly hard ones.

The hight is related to the damper travel, once you wind it up the damper tops out, then and more winding will compress the spring with no height gained.

You can remove the existing droop though and gain easily another 1-2inches.

However on mine i have coilovers and so i have ultimate control of how the can sits.

Remeber tho, raising the car will add positive camber, which might reduce the effectiveness of the snow tyres

How much did the coilovers cost?

Also does anyone do a conversion kit where you attach a threaded tube to the damper body?

Unless you are clued up on suspension, i would avoid coilover sleeves, because you have to match the spring rates with the dampers.

But this option is a great deal cheaper that a set of coilover damper package.

If you got money then put £500 aside and buy coilovers. Or if you understand suspension a bit then, send on some springs and match them with some Koni dampers.
The Koni dampers have life time warranty and are fully adjustable, so can be tailored to your exact specifics

Ive done all setups, Lowering springs, Coilovers, Suspension kit, and Coilover sleeves on my Accord and i found the sleeve option the best.

Or something worth crashing - like a Corsa, or a Agila. Or maybe even a Susuki Wagon.

Then you'll be doing us all a favour. ;).

import a 4wd accord estate from japan. You can get them in both 6th and 7th gens so even if you are belly scraping the rear wheels will give you extra traction to keep going.

Paul have you considered the easier option of looking at Volvo ..IIRC they call the town and country their estates do the 4x4 stance really well, not to forget Subaru's too.

Well then i would need to buy a volvo

I already have an accord sat outside

The amount of money it would cost to change cars it is probably easier to change the suspension. Less hassle as well as you can hit suspension parts with hammers, you can't hit salesmen with hammers.

Since when :(.

;)

Why not just get taller profile tyres.......

I'd say you would only get maybe an extra 20mm of clearance before you start getting to the maximum droop of the oe setup.
You then might start getting odd handling due to the suspension being unable to drop any further while cornering.

I always thought the Accord had a high ride height anyway - hence my drop :eek:

Why not just chop it in for a CRV, at least it has a kind of 4wd system - though looking at one on Youtube struggling to climb a test ramp has made me decide to stick with the Accord.

Personally I dont think its really a viable solution as even with additional height, it would still be stuck due to not having an lsd.
Wait till the summer and buy a battered old Vitara or 110 ...... B)

Not trading in for a 4x4

I had three at last count including the lawnmower, two of which are road legal including the lawnmower

Could always buy the ultimate snow machine though - MX5.......

I didnt see you had a Landy already, I see what your point is regarding raising it. Other than a bit of suck it and see - either spacing the spring / stiffer spring/ spacer on top of damper turret to lift a bit though it may upset the geometry to a point where it may be out of spec. Have you got a price for coilovers?

Good thing with coilovers is you arent restricted to spring lengths if you have a 2.25/ 2.5 dia spring.
My Rex wouldnt go low enough with the AVO springs that came in the kit so got shorter ones for £50....

Current fleet is

Her Honda which has winter tyres but lack of ground clearance means it can't get through the drifts we get on our road.

My ford focus on snow tyres which can get through snow drifts a bit better due to a total lack of giving a duck about the plastic bits.

A landrover 90 on Mud tyres which is damn good in snow drifts but utterly useless on compacted snow and ice. So while it can get to the main road its useless on the back roads due to the tyres being pap on ice.

So its either jack up her car to improve its snow drift performance or get proper winter/snow tyres for the landrover which is proving quite hard as everyone belives that they don't need them so no ****** stocks them. Somewhat similar to the situation regards winter tyres in englandshire until late winter.

We also have a very road illegal landrover on these for when everything else gets stuck but i even got that stuck this year in a 4 foot deep snow drift
maxi_cross.jpg

Not trading in for a 4x4

I had three at last count including the lawnmower, two of which are road legal including the lawnmower

4X4 count now at 4

tour of a modifed unimog 404

I bought a MOG

A unimog 404s 1975 vintage

Pics?
1236924016_mEyrh-L.jpg

1236924850_UC5WT-L.jpg

Okay here it is with one wheel on the trailer and it still has loads of flex left.

1236925773_dRcAz-L.jpg

This is the rather simple but hugely effective suspension system. The big tube down the middle isn't a drive shaft it is the torque tube. It goes into a large ball joint at the back of the gearbox and that allows the whole rear suspension to pivot around the ball. There is a panhard rod at the back to stop the axle floating about. The actualy driveshaft runs inside the torque tube which keeps it out of harms way. If you look backwards you can see the portal drop boxes which mean the center of the axle line is not the center of the wheel

1236926921_jPsg6-L.jpg

The front suspension which are also portal and you can see the massive CV joint which goes into the drop box.

1236928031_hk2Xx-L.jpg

This shows the ground clearance which big wheels and portals have when compared to a landrover.

1236928715_H2CGJ-L.jpg

A 17" alloy off the wifes Honda to give a an idea of the wheel size.
The side of the tyre sayes 335/80R20

1236929253_aYMWW-L.jpg

The luxurious cab with lots of levers
The two at the furtherest away with no ends are the 4x4 and difflock levers
The next one with a small lever attached is the handbrake
The big one with a knob on it is the main gear selector which has 2 low and 4 high gears. It can be modified to give you 4 low and 4 high.
The little on is the forward/reverse selector which only works in the low gears but you do have low 1st and 2nd in reverse if you do the 8spd mod then you have low first 2nd, 3rd and fourth in reverse.

1236929778_icU8b-L.jpg

Climbing stuff which is what it does really well

it cost me 2 grand which was a bit of a bargain but similar can be picked up in the UK for less then 3K it is kind of boring offroad as where a landrover would have difficulty this wanders through without any hassle. The only time i have got stopped is deep mud but i just reversed and charged and got through. Also the way it is built is fantastic. my landrover is 12 years old and has already big patches on the chassis the Unimog is 36 years old and the chassis is as good as the day it left the factory

Park the Accord on a snowplough route and the other half can drive to it in the landrover.

If the landrover gets stuck then i come and get her in the mog

if the mog gets stuck then we are proper ducked

Gotta respect the MOG. I've always had a soft spot for them.