What's new

Re chipping / mapping for more power

2lexec

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda
would like advise on rechipping or remapping my 52 plate 2L Executive as I tow a caravan and could do with a bit more power
and this may be cheaper then changing the car.
I know my insurance would take a hit, i dont require more top speed just more power in the 0-60 range for climbing hills and pulling out at junctions.

thanks
2lexec

TBO normaly aspirated engines there is not much gain in remaps.
Have a chat with Fahad he will be able to advise as this his his game.

Yep... pretty sure all you can do is breathing mods on your engine.... But some one who actually knows will be along shortly... I only drink from the dark pool ;).

Don't bother mate.

The ECU and map will cost you over a grand. Then you'll need a harness to take the car to an OBD1, then you'll need a 2 pin valve instead of the standard 3. Then you'll need a bloke who knows what he's doing too.

Mapping the F18 or F20 is not worth the time.

^^ Bang on.

stock ECU is not tunable, you need piggyback solutions and a lot of work getting it all to work. I know it's not what you want to hear, but if you're towing then sell it and buy a diesel.

Or get the missus to step out and push ;).

the 2.0 is not very tunable without spending silly money to be honest. If it is lacking grunt you would be better off selling it and buying something quicker.

As far as i know he doesn't do the 6th gens. He (XO Power) was on the ATR forum a while ago boasting that he could map the standard ECU on an ATR, so Andy (VtecDirect) offered him A CAR to prove it, and never heard anything back since. Infact, no-one on there did.

So personally i wouldn't trust him. But then again i'm a sceptical person.

thanks for the advise about not bothering, bit surprised thought i'd get "lots" of advise to say what one is best.
if i had bags of money there is a lot i'd do to the car to make it better, brakes, suspension, electrics mainly switches, engine, gearbox,

As for buying a diesel, i know they are not the dogs they used to be and they have better torque but they still rattle so want to avoid a diesel but had mentioned it to the wife.
whats the 2.3 like?

2lexec

On here mate we try to give an honest answer as best we can. Most of us have lots of experiance with the Accord, and we're not like a generic car forum where people just spout s*i*te. If you had bags of money you should buy an ATR and then also something semi sensible :lol:

As for the 2.3, that is a great engine. As reliable as the others that Honda have ever made, but with a bit more lower down torque. IIRC they are a SOHC and there is a Vtec and Non-Vtec version available....could be wrong there though, sure someone will correct me if i am :lol:

Is an engine swap out on the cards with this?

TBH the amount of money that the 6th gens command atm (i.e next to nothing) it might just be worth selling the 2.0 exec and buying a 2.3 Type V instead. They cost abou tthe same, but the ATV has a few more toys on it than the Exec.

You will need to have a tanker following you though if you are towing with the 2.3!

Seriously though, is there really that much difference between the 2 & 2.3? Engine specs state there is only a few bhp between them. Once you're got a van on the back, plus kids and a full boot, surely they are going to feel about the same

Or if it's in your budget get a pre facelift 2.4 7 th gen.
I have no issues towing a caravan with mine

/\ yeah I used to tow a caravan with my 2.4 with no problems. I even hired a twin axle trailer once to collect a heavy car, trailer plus car came to probably 2 tons all up, and that was no problem to tow either (I've given up towing now, still got the car but completely removed the tow bar).

I've been watching 2004 2.4's on ebay for a couple of years now, if you're patient you can get a decent one for about £2000. If you see one going in my area and want me to take a look, let me know.

If you do consider one, you'd be better getting one that's had a new clutch recently, and be warned that the tow bar is not an easy fit, because the twin exhausts on th 2.4 have to be dropped at the back to gain access for the bars.