What's new

Rear brake calipers seized again!

t111bul

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Ex Tourer
Hi guys,

I own a 2003 2litre Accord Executive tourer and the rear calipers keep seizing and wearing out the brake pads. Normally i can just wind the caliper piston back in but this time the n/s caliper will not wind all the way in so i've decided to replace both of the rear calipers. I have tried to get some new cailpers and i have been asked what make the calipers are . I had a look at the calipers tonight and all i can see on them is "108m3" no makers name at all. Does anyone know what make they are as i really need to get hold of some pretty soon.

Thanks

Tim

are you getting them from a motor factors or honda?.......ime sure someone on here knows, ive taken god knows how many appart but never took any notice of the make lol.

Hi,

I'm not getting from honda as they are really expensive £355 each!! I was going to get them from Big Red as they want £200 for a pair.

Hi,

i had to take one of my calipers off at the weekend to find out the make(Nissin) but when i put it back on i found that the caliper could be rocked on the slide pins. How much movement should the caliper have? Th calliper doesn't move a great deal but i am thinking that this may be why my calliper does keep locking on.

Tim.

***uming the caliper is the problem, I would buy a repair kit and rebuild them. A brake caliper is a very simple bit of kit and only a lump of metal really, buy a repair kit and new pistons if needed it will be alot cheaper.

If your not confident at doing such a task then I would shop around as bigred are known for not being the best on price.

Guys quote me if im wrong but are the callipers on the salon different to the tourer/hence you don't need a wind back tool.
Or is it just different type disks and pads.
Also Tim Paul --HOT FUZZ has had lots of problems with his rear calliper so might be worth having a chat to him.

Hi,

I've spoken to Hot Fuzz about his problems with his rear brakes and i have decided to change the brake hoses and i have found a set calipers for £110 exchange so i think i'm just going to change eveything for peace of mind.

Thansk for all your help guys

Tim

Nice one Tim glad to help and as CJ said take some photos if you can to help other members that may have the same problem.

Tourer caliper rebuild should be very easy - they are just push in like the front ones not wind back. Good luck Tim..

I am having issues with the off side rear of my tourer. Had brake disc and pads replaced then the handbrake mechanism 'fell' apart after and ate itself inside the drum resulting in a £330 bill!! Now my caliper is seizing! I had the calliper off today and after 8 miles of driving it was hot, much hotter than the other side. When looking at the piston the rubber boot surrounding it had several rips in it and had been letting water and crud in. The boot is now in several pieces so I have taken it off. Question is how easy is it to replace the piston and boot ***embly and is it possible just to buy the boot? I have looked on Lings and it would appear that the boot comes with piston.

Gotta agree with the ceej here. Such a catostrophic failure of the caliper will be down to bad installation at some point, human error.

Hi i had the same thing on the same type car, changed the caliper and its like a new car. Must of been binding for ages even my MPG has gone up :D got red hot at one point on the A40 on way to work brake pads were shot but disks were fine even after glowing red!!
Calipers are made ny nissan, dont get new what a rip off Rowes honda do recon calipers but £200 a pair from big red is a fair price.
you will need the slider brackets and pins from your old calipers, this is a pain as the new shiney caliper on my car has a old rusty looking slider bracket attached to it :( . get yourself some paint and do a proper job unlike me.

Only problem I see with this is that the slider bracket/pins may have been the issue all along - so you're just putting the faulty part back in.

And they're made by Nissin, not Nissan - too very different companies :lol:

Big Reds worked for me - refurbished me rear NS calliper last year.

I'm a bit of a novice as far as car mechanics are concerned however this job wasn't bad at all.

But for anyone who can not afford for car to be off road for a while brakeparrts.co.uk sell refurb calipers done to electroplate finish and all components replaced.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk