What's new

Rear brake pads

vile

T A Terminator
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
8th gen 2.4 Manual
Guys what kind of mileage are you getting on the rear pads stock pads that is.
I think mine are down to the min cos i can hear a slite noise coming from the nearside wheel.
Correct me if im wrong don't our pads come with a warning spring that rubs against the disk to let you no they are down to the min.
The noise only does it when driving and stops when i put the foot on the brakes.
The pads have done about 18k.Its really odd though because this is the only car iv owned that the rears pads wear before the fronts.This is the 2nd set on the back and the car has done 43k.The fronts lasted 37k.

I do believe they have a little piece of metal that rubs on the disc when they get low

That is not a lot of miles for the rear pads my car had about 23000 on the clock when i brought it so i believe original pads and they lasted till 45-50000 is it just one pad worn or have they all worn down?

My 1st set lasted about 24k so these have lasted less.Its just 1 side making the noise but without taking the wheels off there seems to be about 1-2 mm left on both so not a lot of meat left.

Just had another thought Paul the pads may have lasted longer if i dident tow a shed or had the remap 3 months ago :lol: ;)

Hello Brett

Yes the shed pulling might not of helped lol.

I reckon you should be getting atleast 20k out of the pads. I reckon you should take them apart and just inspect, are you confident with taking the brakes apart?

Hello Brett

Yes the shed pulling might not of helped lol.

I reckon you should be getting atleast 20k out of the pads. I reckon you should take them apart and just inspect, are you confident with taking the brakes apart?
I think ill do that Shabz over the weekend but im sure by looking at them there's not a lot left on them.Iv ordered the drilled sports disks and green stuff pads to replace them to match the fronts so am looking forward to replace them anyway.

Brett, are they wearing evenly? And are they OEM Honda or EBC? The compound itself might be different resulting in premature wear.

Just to add to this guys iv just been for a drive and it seems when i turn to the right or go over a speed ramp the noise of rubbing is worse.Its intermittent/ i think ist just the 1st warning of low pads.

Brett, are they wearing evenly? And are they OEM Honda or EBC? The compound itself might be different resulting in premature wear.
Yes mate there OEM and both sides seem to have the same amount of meat left on them.

Just to add to this guys iv just been for a drive and it seems when i turn to the right or go over a speed ramp the noise of rubbing is worse.Its intermittent/ i think ist just the 1st warning of low pads.

From what you describe there on there way out. I would just get them replaced

you haven't been driving with the handbrake on have you? B)

if you're fitting new pads etc when you have it to bits make sure the slides are free and the pads aren't to tight in the carrier and that the piston winds back easily and then see how the new ones fair

hey there....you need to take them apart and see what it's done to the inside of the disc and tbh front and rears wear at about the same rate for the Accord so if you're getting 37K there rears should last allmost as long ..that's it fyou're not hauling heavy stuff....and that's IF your rears aren;t slighly sticking!

I've found on the Accord that the rears tend to stick when not maintained carefully...i.e stripped and cleaned properly and not simply with some brake cleaner, what you tend to find is that the brake dut build up and crud makes the outside pad less likely to want to move so giving the inner pad more work...this basically means that your discs and pads maybe worn on the inside rather than on the outside which is the only bit that you can see... when i first checked mine the outer pads were really stiff to move and the inside was worn unevenly :lol:

Cheers guys for all your feed back ill keep you posted.

Brett hope you get then sorted I've never replaced pads on the saloon but I've done mine so if you need a hand let me know. Sounds as though you've had a good look at them but it's possible that they've been rubbing if they've only lasted 18k. have you noticed them getting hot or any burning smell.

cheers for the offer Paul i haven't noticed any burning or smelling.my old ones lasted around 25k but was moterway miles this time iv done a lot of town miles

possibly a combination of town driving and slightly sticking caliper..best take it apart to see :ph34r: