What's new

Rear brakes binding

Accordial

Members
Reaction score
Car
2005 2.2 D Tourer
Any idea what's wrong here? Just bought my 2005 2.2 sport tourer. Supplying car dealer had new read pads & discs fitted. Prior to my collecting he discovered brakes ran hot on one side so delayed giving car to me and had new caliper fitted. I then collected the car, and after a few miles the rear brakes were scorching hot on both sides.

Car has gone back to him, but his usual garage "cannot solve brake puzzle yet". Car dealer is not a flybynight and is mechanically competent himself I'd say that the car is probably in as good hands as would be possible - in so far as one can ever tell.

Hoping the combined experience of the folk here can make a suggestion. Thanks

Have they checked/changed the hoses?

Did they put the pads in correct.This can be an east mistake as there are 2 holes in the pads that need to line up with the piston.This might only be on the saloon and not the tourer.
As the tourer dont require a wind back tool its just a thought.
Also the brake's will need time to bed in proper so will get hot for a few hundred miles.
Also the pads and disks will have a coating on them and this can cause heat and smoke.

Also the brake's will need time to bed in proper so will get hot for a few hundred miles.
Also the pads and disks will have a coating on them and this can cause heat and smoke.

I ignored the brake smell for a bit for exactly that reason. However the wheels themselves were far too hot to touch, definitely sick.

I had the same thing happen, after a refit, several attempts (self) to clear the problem clean everything, pistons free, (or so I thought) went to my mates garage and asked him, "probably the flexible hoses breaking up and filling up the back of the caliper with crud" New hose and caliper problem solved. Another thing I found was that the pads were over generously painted and needed the ends filing off so that they could move. Has the handbrake got enough play, 5/6 clicks, when at 3 that was binding as well.

Thanks

Apparently there are no flexible hoses on the rear brakes, and the surplus paint (anything that hadn't burnt off...!) has all be removed.

Could it be the VSA? I've suggested they pull the brakes to pieces, and try turning the VSA off before first pressing the brakes.

Thanks

Apparently there are no flexible hoses on the rear brakes, and the surplus paint (anything that hadn't burnt off...!) has all be removed.

A closer inspection might be in order :lol:

Almost certain it's the flexible hoses breaking up. You'll be about the 20th member with this problem. Very common.

B__2525.jpg

Item three - is a hose...Part number 01466SED000.

Have they def done the work they've claimed to have done if so I concur replace the hose may as well do the other one the other side too just in case. I doubt it's the VSA.

If your techy cannot find the flexible hoses James then I would suggest removing it from him before he messes something else up.

It's all Chinese whispers, in all directions, so who actually knows what the truth is, but apparently the problem has been resolved. Just the steering wheel to sort now. Still hoping to see you tomorrow/Thurs, EoT.

Probably fittted saloon rear pads to your tourer, as a local garage did to mine. They couldn't figure out why my brakes were binding. Gave me all the excuses under the sun, until we stripped it down again and I pointed out the pins on the back of the pads. There is no recess on the pistons of the tourers rear brakes as the handbrake has separate shoes. The pin causes the piston to jam and not move back after the brakes are applied. The solution was to grind the pin off.

I doubt your garage would want to admit it, if they did mess it up like this. Mine felt very stupid, and I'll never use them again.

Worrying innit ?

I had the same thing happen, after a refit, several attempts (self) to clear the problem clean everything, pistons free, (or so I thought) went to my mates garage and asked him, "probably the flexible hoses breaking up and filling up the back of the caliper with crud" New hose and caliper problem solved. Another thing I found was that the pads were over generously painted and needed the ends filing off so that they could move. Has the handbrake got enough play, 5/6 clicks, when at 3 that was binding as well.

Sorry if this is the 50th time you've been asked all this...but will they all go on every wheel eventually, & is it better avoiding OEM replacements?

Also, when you remove the old hose, do you have to scrape gunk out before fitting the new one?

Cheers.

(New Tourer owner so I wasn't aware of this issue) :blush:

The more I think about this the more annoyed for you I get.

That's very kind, but as mentioned the message came through as Chinese whispers through a pipeline. I may have been mistaken, or might anybody else in the chain.

Sorry if this is the 50th time you've been asked all this...but will they all go on every wheel eventually, & is it better avoiding OEM replacements?

Also, when you remove the old hose, do you have to scrape gunk out before fitting the new one?

Cheers.

I was not present when the job was done, but I do know the guy who did it and am confident it was done "proper", as I have had no repeats since. He only did work on the nearside rear, and I can see the new caliper and hose, I ***ume the system was drained and replenished, the crud is developed in the hose so by throwing the hose and caliper away it should be good as new. As for the rest of the hoses "if it aint broke don't fix it" always been my motto.

It's all Chinese whispers, in all directions, so who actually knows what the truth is, but apparently the problem has been resolved. Just the steering wheel to sort now. Still hoping to see you tomorrow/Thurs, EoT.

phone me with an eto please, wheel ready for you.

Apparently a new set of pads cured it. Presumably the factor sent the wrong ones.

Apparently a new set of pads cured it. Presumably the factor sent the wrong ones.

Like I said the ones for the saloon.

Why oh why don't the idiots in these garages compare old with new. As an engineer i always check the new part matches the old.

Well, the car drives rather better with the right pads! Much more lively! See if it'll do better than 30mpg now...

OK so mine is binding again, lasted about 6 months after a clean up, will def change the hose this time, so onto HH Monday.

Any recommendations for refurbed rear calipers?

Cheers

Simon

Cheers Buddy,

Any ideas what they charge?

Any forum discount in place?

Thanks

Simon