What's new

Rear Crash Bar?

Barts024

Members
Reaction score
Car
03 2.4 Accord Type S
Hello all are the rear crash bars prone to rotting away? Took my rear bumper off the other week to find out there's not really much left of mine. Okay it's a 53 plate but still surly there still meant to be pretty solid.

Not sure really. My 03 plate has minor surface rust in areas; but it certainly hasn't rot away.

Hmm strange one will try and get a picture of mine when I get round to replacing it.

Is it steel or alu?

Galvanic corrosion had given the alu one on my Subaru a bad time when I removed it to fit my towbar.

Its Steel. But I'm ***uming that it's never had much protection from the elements and road salt etc.

If the rear crash bar is that bad, check out the front.... my 54 plate tourer had a hole right through the front one - Just rust and cobwebs holding it together!!

I've changed it over for a decent 2nd hand replacement, but haven't dare take the rear bumper off yet...

Funny thing,i removed my cl9 rear bumper yesterday,the rear crash bar fell on the floor,completely rotted out,half of it had rusted away.weird as the underneath only has light surface rust starting on the sills,going to grind the rust off and underseal tomorrow.looks like it must of started to rust within the first year or two