Rear Suspension 'clonk'

Rich_1981

Members
Reaction score
Car
Mk7 2.2 CTDI Tourer
Hi guys and gals,

new to the forum, so Hi. :)

i have noticed a clonking noise when going over harsher bumps. i am thinking it it the rear suspension bushes that probably need replacing - how easy a job is this to do? can i do it at home without a ramp or do you think its a relatively easy job and therefore a garage won't charge much to do it?

cheers
Rich

It will be the stabilizer bushes that are worn out,easy to replace but the drop links may also need to be replaced as well?

The bushes are "D" shaped and held by a simple 2 bolt clamp.

9/10 it's just the drop links. Had the same thing on my civic

Mine was anti roll bar bushes as edge said. If it clunk's at low speed going over bumps or different gradients. They are about 6 quid each.

Mine does this. I thought is was something moving about in the boot, but now suspect the ARB bushes.

Yes sounds like either. Have a good look under the car for wear or broken item

thanks all. is this an easy job to do? haven't had a chance to look yet, but i am confident i can spot a any issues with the bushes (no jokes please!) but i am less sure how to diagnose the drop link. will it be obviously broken, ***uming that is the problem?

also, are replacing either the drop links or bushes, or both, an easy job i could tackle myself?
thanks again guys

Hardest part of drop links is getting the old ones off, but an angle grinder or similar makes it much easier.
To check them lie underneath the car, get hold of them and give them a good shake. If you can feel any knocking they need changing. If they are both fine then it's more likely the anti rollbar bushes. Only a couple of bolts, I'm changing mine this weekend.

Thanks Dave.

Ok drop links look fine as does the stabilising rubber. looks to me like the rubber at the bottom of the shock has seen better days, could this be it? and how easy is that to replace? i have taken a picture but can't work out how to attach it here!

My anti rollbar bushes looked ok until I removed them. Changed them today and only took about half an hour. Total cost approx £10 from HH

If your really tight .. like me .. Then you can take out your ARB bushes ..you should see one side is worn more ..as one side does more work than the other .. sooo turn em around ,, and stick em back in to wear the other side .. so far I have had another year of no clunks out of mine for total parts cost of zero B)

ok i've ordered anti-rollbar bushes. i'll let you know how i get on. thank you.

I only wish I had done mine sooner because for a fairly simple and cheap job they have made a massive difference. I think that is probably the second time mine have been done and the car is now on 156k miles.

Chaps,

Disaster has struck!! i have done the near-side bush absolutely fine. I have now attempted the off-side and managed to snap a bolt on the way out! because of the exhaust the access to this side is a nightmare compared to the near-side and i cannot get a drill in to take the snapped end out. as i say, a total disaster!!

1. does anyone have any ideas of how to get out of this mess?
or
2.do you think it will be ok - i.e. not cause damage - to drive it to a garage and, with tail between my legs, ask them to sort it?

cheers
Rich

I think it should be okay going to the garage with 3 bolts in. Don't worry, it happens to us all, and garages see DIY mishaps all the time. Keep the bolt head in case the garage want to weld it back on to get the rest out.

Your not the first mate. When you put them back in use some copper grease on the threads . soaking the bolts in plus gas may help if you are going to weld the head back on.

Could you not just unhook the exhaust and get a drill in there?

It's only a suggestion as I'm not entirely versed in the 7th series.

Thanks guys - vid doesn't work btw- I can't get the 3rd bolt back in now! My local garage is less than a mile away, will it be ok to drive it there slowly?

Unless you get it trailered I can't see another way to get the car there. Just be very careful.

I have just read a thing on the web where some guy had lost his bracket and been rattling about for months so hopefully that means it should be ok for a short trip! I'll give it a go, no other options really. Thanks for your help.

Back in days of young dumb full of **** and nonsense I ran around in a couple of cars that had no anti roll bars fitted, wasn't spending money on non essential parts when faar more important things for a teen to spend money on were there , and drove for miles and miles like that ... so to your local garage will be fine .