What's new

Remote Fob?

Pete1958

Members
Reaction score
Car
2004 2.4 EX 7th Gen.
Hi all, Having just bought Eric's CL9 it only came with one remote fob which Eric had made into the flip key type.

It did come with two other keys which will open the doors but obviously won't start the car so if I find out the frequency off the PCB inside the flip key case and buy one of these off of fleabay and put that in one of the other keys will it just be a case of programming it to the car?

Many thanks,
Pete :) .

The key fob only operates the alarm and central locking. It does not affect the immobilizer for which the key must be used to start the engine.

If you want an additional fob, you'll need to order a transmitter and get it programmed to the car (i.e. that the car accepts the transmitter).

jayok said:
The key fob only operates the alarm and central locking. It does not affect the immobilizer for which the key must be used to start the engine.

If you want an additional fob, you'll need to order a transmitter and get it programmed to the car (i.e. that the car accepts the transmitter).
Hi Jason, Isn't that what I said in my post :unsure: .

The transmitter is the part inside the fob Isn't it and so if I buy this part and then have it programmed to the car won't that work OK?

Pete1958 said:
Hi Jason, Isn't that what I said in my post :unsure: .

The transmitter is the part inside the fob Isn't it and so if I buy this part and then have it programmed to the car won't that work OK?
Yes, you did, but I was up at 5am and full of stupidity at the moment... :blush:

But it is not simply a frequency and serial code as I understand it. I believe it uses a rolling code to de-activate the alarm. FWIW - the transmission frequency is 433 MHz and it's classified as a low power device (LPD433).

jayok said:
Yes, you did, but I was up at 5am and full of stupidity at the moment... :blush:

But it is not simply a frequency and serial code as I understand it. I believe it uses a rolling code to de-activate the alarm. FWIW - the transmission frequency is 433 MHz and it's classified as a low power device (LPD433).
Thanks for saying Jason because I had to read what I had written a couple of times to make sure I wasn't cracking up myself :lol: .

As for the frequency maybe that was the wrong word as I meant to say the serial # off of the PCB such as GHD-382-A as I was told this had to match with the one in my present Fob.

Thanks,
Pete :) .

Ah ok. Well the frequency is 433MHz so that's pretty much stuck. Internally with the board this will transmit a number of codes in a particular sequence (serials) that will be used to unlock the car. The reason for the serial number is that there were a number of revisions of the unlock fob over the life of the Accord. Not in a bad way :)

So the process will be:

1. Acquire a compatible transmitter
2. Using the HDS, enter the Body electric mode
3. Put the alarm into learning mode
4. Press and hold the transmitter button
5. The HDS will confirm that the learning is complete
6. Test

Now, it can take 5-6 goes to actually get the transmitter to stick for some reason, but eventually it does.

^ superb knowledge there ;)
I wish there was a way to mark bits like this as "favourites" within TA

freddofrog said:
^ superb knowledge there ;)
I wish there was a way to mark bits like this as "favourites" within TA
Thanks - but that's what great about this forum is everyone will share! :)

jayok said:
Ah ok. Well the frequency is 433MHz so that's pretty much stuck. Internally with the board this will transmit a number of codes in a particular sequence (serials) that will be used to unlock the car. The reason for the serial number is that there were a number of revisions of the unlock fob over the life of the Accord. Not in a bad way :)

So the process will be:

1. Acquire a compatible transmitter
2. Using the HDS, enter the Body electric mode
3. Put the alarm into learning mode
4. Press and hold the transmitter button
5. The HDS will confirm that the learning is complete
6. Test

Now, it can take 5-6 goes to actually get the transmitter to stick for some reason, but eventually it does.
Many thanks for that info. Jason :) . The only problem is I'm hopeless with abbreviations, what is HDS??? :lol: .

Pete, off-topic here, but need an answer ASAP in a public post.

Can you look in the owners-manual for the max speeds in 1st and 2nd gear.
In my owners-manual, which is Tourer, it's on page 301, "6-speed Manual Transmission"

edit: btw, HDS = "Honda Diagnostic System". I've got one from eBay, a clone from China ~£100, works fine, nice toy, you can find it on youtube too

there's a way to program alarm transmitters without hds. no need to pay stealership or 100 for clone.

freddofrog said:
Pete, off-topic here, but need an answer ASAP in a public post.

Can you look in the owners-manual for the max speeds in 1st and 2nd gear.
In my owners-manual, which is Tourer, it's on page 301, "6-speed Manual Transmission"

edit: btw, HDS = "Honda Diagnostic System". I've got one from eBay, a clone from China ~£100, works fine, nice toy, you can find it on youtube too
Hi Brian, The speed in 1st is 32 mph and 2nd is 62.

Thanks for meaning of HDS btw.

littlebo said:
there's a way to program alarm transmitters without hds. no need to pay stealership or 100 for clone.
Hi Sergey, If you could explain how that would be a great help :) .

Cheers,
Pete.

I Googled programming a Fob/Key to the car and it explains how you have to turn on Ignition press lock on Fob turn of Ignition and so on and so forth, is this the way it can be done?

Thanks,
Pete.

Hi Pete, not my area of expertise, but Jason might know more. What is sad is that someone comes onto a forum and says "there's a way to program alarm transmitters without hds" but doesn't tell you any more. I wonder why.

freddofrog said:
Hi Pete, not my area of expertise, but Jason might know more. What is sad is that someone comes onto a forum and says "there's a way to program alarm transmitters without hds" but doesn't tell you any more. I wonder why.
Because noone asked and dont even have a fob in hand needs to be programmed.

in most forums, especially this one, it is usual practice to offer help up front

Pete1958 said:
I Googled programming a Fob/Key to the car and it explains how you have to turn on Ignition press lock on Fob turn of Ignition and so on and so forth, is this the way it can be done?

Thanks,
Pete.
Not sure Pete - I've never done it this way. I've only used the HDS which I bought as a cheap Chinese clone and works ok. There is probably no harm in trying though if you have the fob. But be careful, we use a different alarm system to those in the US (if you're googling). Our Accords are build for the KE market and there are slight differences between them and the Acura TSX / American Accord.

littlebo said:
Because noone asked and dont even have a fob in hand needs to be programmed.
Ok - I like to learn new things and I have a imaginary fob here that needs to be programmed. What are my options? Thanks.

jayok said:
Although this makes it look really simple! :)

http://www.wikihow.com/Program-Factory-Honda-Acura-Remote-Key-Fobs

I suppose reading this is what I would have done with the HDS, as I said it took 5-6 times to get it to stick. It was probably cycling the power to the alarm. I'd give it a go! :)
Thanks for that Jason, I'll give it a go when I get a new transmitter and will let you know how I get on :) .

Just hope it doesn't deprogramme the Fob I have got and leave me without a working Key/Fob at all :blush: .