What's new

remove Cat

stuartb

Members
Reaction score
Car
2001 Accord Vtec 2.0
I have a rattly middle exhaust box (definitely not a loose shield) and I ***umed this is a cat

Maybea a silly question but can I just replace that with a section of tube? How would that affect emissions and the running of the engine?

I.e will it get through the cough test

From what i understand fella you would fail the test on emissions and i think it throws up a light on the dash

It's illegal not to have a Cat, you will fail emissions and you will get eml light on as the o2 sensor wont be plugged in. Technically you can decat it and run all straight through pipes. Your better off finding what the actual rattle is as it could be something else.

oh well.. somehow i thought that would be the answer lol .. worth a try eh

while I was under there I bashed that middle box and it rattles like theres something loose inside. grabbed and yanked various things around it, nothing seems loose.. the engine does kinda sound like it's blowing a bit somewhere however..

anyway I'm replacing my steering rack next week, so will remove the whole exhaust then (except downpipe) and give it a good look over

is there a middle box that doesnt have a cat in? wondering if just baffles have collapsed or something..

Ah. And if it's this 'other' box that's rattling, are there any problems with just replacing that with pipe? Presuming in that case its just some sort of silencer

unfortunately, if this is accurate, the bit I'm talking about is the first one actually :/ (642682) just after the braided hose type flexy piece, whatever that's called

so that IS the cat then?

accord%20exhaust_zpsgkr7rnia.png

cheap ones are ok, but AFAIK they won't last as long as OEM, so if you think you'll be keeping the car for 10 years the cheap one probably won't last

Yeh so its your cat, I wouldnt buy that cheap one, my cat got stolen last year and had to replace with a s very similar one to that and it is cheap and nasty, i drive with eml on, i think the cat killed my o2 sensor.

However I wouldnt invest in an OEM, they around 1k and it will get stolen. There is someone on another forum that bought a aftermakrt cat that was good quality, I will try find that out.

In the end I bought one anyway, actually it was about 120 Inc shipping (no idea why the one above says 60..) so with a bit of luck that'll outlast the car. If not hopefully it goes quick enough to be under waruntee (and if not to be honest another 100 in a years time is nothing compared to oem costs..)

Will keep an eye out for eml lights and let you all know if it turns out to be a piece of sh*t :)

The only way iv found to remove the cat is have the top of the cat cut open remove the insides and get it welded back up (must be cut at the top of the cat so no one sees it) that way your lamba sensor will be plugged in no eml hope this helps

That's illegal and will fail emissions test. ;)

Yea that is the downside to it other option is try what iv said but get a cat for the mot as they are only bolt on

I see hondamad's point, I suppose you could have 2, one cut, emptied and rewelded for every day, and one good one for the MOT

however, to be honest I'd rather have the good one in all the time, if I have one.. also, with the ECU maps etc, wouldnt something auto adjust itself with the change in backpressure (or whatever) so that actually you wouldn't really see a difference anyway?

my original idea to pipe it out was really just to save costs, not for a gain in power, which I would ***ume would have to be in conjunction with some sort of inlet work and a remap to see any benefit

side note, it has arrived, and looks ok so far.. waiting on a steering rack to be delivered then will do both at same time, no point doing cat then taking it off again later

^ Aye, its kind of pointless the engine are mapped to produce torque at lower and mid rpm with certain back-pressure, putting straight through pipe will see you lose torque in those ranges.