What's new

Removing balancer belt

F20b6

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord
Hi all

Thinking about removing the balancer belt in the hope to increase power slightly. Im not worried about vibrations

What are your opinions

No much can't find many perfoance parts for the f20b6 just atr mongoose exhaust 4-2-1 manifold. Decat

I thought it might give you around 5bhp by removing the belt

What else have you done to the engine?

TBH I doubt it would make a noticeable difference.

It works on the ATR, I know its a H22 but no reason why it won't work on the F20.

I thought there wasn't much room to play with on the 20b? Isn't it built for economy?

Doubt if it will make any difference to power and one of the great things about this engine is it's smoothness especially at high revs,any extra bhp will easily be absorbed through internal vibrations.

NOZ anyone :lol:

damn this keyboard, you know what I mean.

You might be able to claw back 1 or 2 horses, but as said above it will likely get soaked up in the increased vibrations.
Certainly doesn't justify the time taken to do the job.

I wouldn't bother.

I had a mitsubishi Galant 2.0 with 4G63. When I had the cambelt changed, I asked them to replace the balancer belt while they were at it. They found that the previous balancer belt was broken, and by the looks of it had broken shortly after it was fitted - before I got the car. I had driven it 35k miles that way, and they put a new belt on. At low revs it had a bit more torque without the balancer belt, but at higher revs it was somewhat smoother and was a bit more urgent with the balancer. The differences were by no means night and day, but generally it was better with the balancer.