What's new

Removing deep scratches

accord2001

Members
Reaction score
Car
Fr-v
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbKjop_su1k&list=FL_w6lfLRVf39brCjQTBZuKA&feature=mh_lolz

Just saw this on youtube, what does u guys thk? i do have some deep scratches on my accord cg8, should i try the same method?

i have tried t-cut and similar stuff but they didn't work

Depends how deep the scratch is. Wet sanding can lessen the appearance of a scratch but not always remove it.

Remember too that Honda paint is very thin, so proceed with caution!

By sanding, what you're actually doing is removing layers of lacquer.
I'll be doing this over the coming weeks but I'll be replacing the lacquer as I go. followed by some G3 compound and wax.

Some parts of mine look like I'll need to go right down to the colour coat.

Previous owner decided it was a good idea not to clean off bird ***** and it's eaten right through clear coat into paint in several places :(

If you do decide to try it, i'd start with 2000 grit, if that doesn't take the scratch out, try 1500 grit, then 1200 grit. You want to use the least abrasive paper to remove the scratch otherwise you can end up in trouble.

By sanding, what you're actually doing is removing layers of lacquer.
I'll be doing this over the coming weeks but I'll be replacing the lacquer as I go. followed by some G3 compound and wax.

Some parts of mine look like I'll need to go right down to the colour coat.

Previous owner decided it was a good idea not to clean off bird ***** and it's eaten right through clear coat into paint in several places :(

If you do decide to try it, i'd start with 2000 grit, if that doesn't take the scratch out, try 1500 grit, then 1200 grit. You want to use the least abrasive paper to remove the scratch otherwise you can end up in trouble.

Interesting , but did you know you can actually remove more paint with a heavy compound than through wet sanding.....tbh the paint on the Honda is so soft you can acheive great correction with a finishing pad and compound!

How do you plan to replace the laquer?

Regards

Simon