What's new

Replacement Alternator

Quirrel

Members
Reaction score
Car
'05 Accord Estate
Well the car has a knackered alternator.

Battery is only reading 9.5v and is noisy as hell.

Power steering pump is a but noisy as well, but will worry about that later.

I read on here about non-genuine honda alternators.

Anybody got more info? or recond second hand ones.

Not really up for throwing money at it.

Could you not just get your existing one reconditioned than buy another one?

Are you sure your alternator is knackered, sounds more like your battery is, especially as cold weather tends to finish batteries off.

Alternator is putting out 9.6V.

Getting a christmas tree dash as well.

Sounds like a bag of hammers under there, using the screwdriver stethescope, it sounds rough.

After I managed to flatten the battery I took it for an hours drive, car wouldn't start at all. Took 10 minutes before it jumped after stopping and starting.

Alternator is putting out 9.6V.

Getting a christmas tree dash as well.

Sounds like a bag of hammers under there, using the screwdriver stethescope, it sounds rough.

After I managed to flatten the battery I took it for an hours drive, car wouldn't start at all. Took 10 minutes before it jumped after stopping and starting.

Sounds about right then.

Look on ebay for second hand or re-conditioned. Then get a good mechanic to fit it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007-honda-accord-2-2-cdti-ALTERNATOR-GOOD-WORKING-ORDER-/110805628137?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19cc87b4e9

http://alternatorsnstarters.co.uk/hondas.aspx

We tried to get it off today, but the tensioner beat us. One bolt and we were stuck.

Hoping a local mobile mechanic will get it off for me.

Although I may recondition it and sell it after buying one.

Can't believe that some of the larger re-conditioners are charging 265 for an alternator.

As far as I can tell from reading around it does fit. Can't find anything telling me otherwise.

Best to get yours off first and then put it against the donor part to compare..

Drop Salim a PM, he's done this himself.

PM replied,

Its probably like what most have experienced that the clutch ***embly on the alternator has gone which is replaceable @ 75 for the part plus fitting or like me buy a used one from a breakers yard.

You can remove the idler pulley and fit the revised shorter belt.

The idler pulley will need a big bar or something to give leverage to undo, it'll be tight. same with the tensioner.

The belt routing is in my diy that you replied in.

HTH

ps. I'm sure the civic alty fits too, not 100% but 99.9% sure :)

I've seen some massive tensioner spanner things for fords but nowt for the Honda.

I don't want to risk rounding the nut off on the tensioner anymore.

Any recommendations for a long spanner?

I've had the same problem with mine and its not the alternator. It was the pully, they have a clutch inside them and they can go which will make the noise you are hearing.
A quick way too check is too get a long flat head screw driver place on the alternator and listen through it.this will give you a better idea if it is tht.
Do same for the other pulleys and listen for differance.

Hope this helps.
Rich

Couple weeks ago,i am got the same problem with alternator puley.It was changed and sound is gone.Bearing was very dry.