What's new

Reverse and 1st gear clutch shudder

paultop6

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord Type S
This has been a long time "issue" for me, but as I am about to sell the car, I need to know more about it.

I have owned my Accord Type S 2.2 idtec (2009) for nearly 4 years, and it has always had this horrible shudder in reverse and 1st gear.

It is somewhat intermittent in 1st gear, showing no behavioural consistency with temperature, humidity etc.

It nearly always happens in reverse, and is bad. Its like clutch is jumping wildly when trying to engage. It's so bad that it is hard to reverse without just metering the clutch and never fully engaging it. You can somewhat mitigate it by feathering in the clutch with higher revs, but not excessively high.

It is not clutch slip, as I have never noticed this in 4 years of ownership. It has never gotten any worse or better despite putting nearly 60k on it.

I want to know what other accord owners think.

I dont think the car needs a new clutch, as this hasn't deteriorated in 4 years. Wondering what the hell it is.

I had it with the old clutch and I have it with the new (now second old clutch).

As you say reverse is always there and worse and you can feather it in with revs. First is intermittent.

Maybe it's more to do with the flywheel/engine mount design as it should be the flywheel that dampens low rev vibrations. It did bother me at first but used to it now.

Like the very unique engine tone aswell which has always been present. Like a high high pitched wurrr that increases with revs. Apparently the timing chain difference as the old gen was prone to failure.

DazTheMe said:
I had it with the old clutch and I have it with the new (now second old clutch).

As you say reverse is always there and worse and you can feather it in with revs. First is intermittent.

Maybe it's more to do with the flywheel/engine mount design as it should be the flywheel that dampens low rev vibrations. It did bother me at first but used to it now.

Like the very unique engine tone aswell which has always been present. Like a high high pitched wurrr that increases with revs. Apparently the timing chain difference as the old gen was prone to failure.
Yeh I noticed the engine tone as well. LIke a high pitched whistle when the turbo cuts in. Been there since I have owned the car.

Looks like something I just have to put up with, and hope a potential buyer doesn't mind lol

I've always worried about selling the car, I don't expect much for mine as it's a high mileage and my customers and general work have left the paint in need of scratch repairs and correction.

I've done my best to mechanically maintain it though. Still a few bits to sort out. Then the clutch will probably go, sods law lol.

Have you tried "burning" it? i.e get up against a high kerb, engage gear and feed the clutch in causing it to slip, this may sort it out.

edgeoftime said:
Have you tried "burning" it? i.e get up against a high kerb, engage gear and feed the clutch in causing it to slip, this may sort it out.
What potential cause of the shudder is this proposing to fix?

Is it on the original clutch still?? check the condition of the gearbox mount. There's a lot of torque in that 2.2l especially if it's the 180bhp model.