What's new

RIP....

toffee_pie

Members
Reaction score
Car
Legacy 3.0R SpecB
Type Rs look to be destined for museums, i think Honda made a mistake not having a 7th or 8th gen Type R for the uk market.

:(

Not really a huge market for them, you would be better off remapping a 2.2 ICTDI & get the 30-40% extra fuel economy

I agree that it's a shame they didn't do a Type R 7th, but they did do the Euro R though. IT does seem like there won't be anymore Type Rs that aren't Civics. But then even the newer Type R Civics are really tame when you drive them. There just isn't that same amount of fun and feeling when giving it some..,.Even the Vtec kick seems dull and lifeless.

remember reading a car magazine years back, top gear maybe and for the 2.4 accord review at the back it said along the lines of.

"good reliable, typical Japanese but for the love of god give us a type r...."

remember reading a car magazine years back, top gear maybe and for the 2.4 accord review at the back it said along the lines of.

"good reliable, typical Japanese but for the love of god give us a type r...."

I remember that! I don't like the ivtec engines i feel they are tame, not as punchy and no vtec crossover, the h22a7, b18 and b16's were all great !

We have some really nice EP3 round my way. Guess if I can't get an S2000 I can at least get one of these past the missus - she wants a Jazz :lol:

Dan surely she'd love an S2K? It's cute and convertable.

If you don't mind me saying Eric, this thread is a proper random one. It's not new that the UK has no 7th or 8th gen ATR (or Accord Euro as they're known in Japan). Have you read something somewhere to say there's no more Type Rs in the future in the UK? And are you talking all Type Rs or just Accords? As far as I was aware, there aren't even going to be any more Accords in Europe after the current 8th Gen. So definitely no Type Rs of any future Accords, as we're not getting any future Accords.

But I still agree with you, it's a shame to see Honda reign in their sporty cars and just opt with conservative marketing. But then again, times are tough and needs must. We could see a turnaround in 2015 mind. Honda moving back in to Engine supply for F1 and they're releasing a CTR with a 1.6 or 1.8 turbo engine. Could be good. There's a silver lining to this cloud yet Eric.

Dan surely she'd love an S2K? It's cute and convertable.

You have yet to meet my better half... trust me I have tried every angle.... having her friend's dad being the designer of Moteigi means she isn't totally devoid of the notion of what a blokes petrol based plaything looks like ;)

Hence an EP3 might well work... :D

Give me a break anyway! I'm a diesel man. So far my petrol experience limited to oversized lawnmowers or bikes.

I got a remap passed her on the grounds of VPower. The A-Spec was rumbled the first time we were alongside another Tourer.

The brake-upgrade excuse didn't last as long as I first thought :lol:

Steve , the tree huggers will never let a decent petrol sports car be released unless it had a blooming great battery and electric motor.

If that's going to happen then In-Wheel motors and batteries interleaved into the floor pan are the way to go IMHO.

But how boring is driving on the road now. Even in my 19 years on the roads there has been a huge change.

Too much traffic has made serious LEGAL fun too dangerous.

I thought in the UK the ATR and the Euro R are two different cars. The ATR is the 6th gen Type R and the Euro R is the a different car base, but with the same engine, albeit a little more powerful version but was still called the H22A7. Then the 7th gen Euro R had the K20A engine with the LSD etc.

the euro r is a JDM car? don't think it was officially sold here in the uk. hence it being more freely available in Ireland where there was a niche market for grey imports in the celtic tiger boom.

i think its pretty clear Honda wont have a type r accord in the uk ever again, they are going to focus on co2 friendly cars which is the way things are going everywhere.

i was pondering the ridiculous thought of getting a legend, 3.5litres of vtec but with mpg alot worse than what i get now i think it would be borderline wreckless.

with less than 30mpg in city driving now, thats about 250/260 miles on a tank. > £70~80

so give or take sub 200miles with a legend :eek:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/honda/honda-civic-type-r-confirmed

Don't count the japs out, they know how important the type r image is, we will have to see what will be produced in the future. I hope that the jazz gets a type r and the cr-z might get one........ But as for the accord??? I hope Honda gets brave and gets a 9th gen in a type r for the fans. But the tree huggers are winning the battle.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/2015-honda-civic-type-r-will-have-at-least-270-hp-56079.html. This looks like a step in the right direction

The problem I see with a potential Accord Type R is the fn2, it was a €40k car in Ireland, imagine then an Accord with similar engine but slower cos of size and more expensive, it doesn't make sense. Honda Ireland doesn't even list a petrol Accord on it's price list now due to emissions and taxation systems here.

Yes the EU has killed what we all know were the greats of motoring engines, but turbo will herald an new era of sports cars for Honda and many other manufacturers.

I keep an ear on this website www.vtec.net and there's a chap there that seems to be in the know on everything Honda (rolledansx) seemingly he has worked with them as a translator back in the F1 days.

http://www.vtec.net/forums/one-message?message_id=1133461

http://www.vtec.net/forums/one-message?message_id=1138446

http://www.vtec.net/forums/one-message?message_id=1138946

There's also talk given the new potential partnership with Mclaren, that Mclaren are going to release a smaller sports car (possible Honda engine) and Honda will get that chassis for use on their own small sub-911 sports car.

Looks like its time to get a minty accord type-r and put it away...

hahaha

yep

it will end up like a alfa sz , but probably not due to the many made (and the many destroyed by loons)

Guys i can see this only by clicking on the right of the section but not by clicking the main Type R section.Dan and i will look into this.

Ok sorted :)

Just worked it out guys you will now see all topics in this section ;)

I think small capacity N/A performance cars are a dying breed full stop, not just the ATR or other R's. Turbo is the easiest way to give performance and keep within emissions guidelines. Tis a shame though

I think small capacity N/A performance cars are a dying breed full stop, not just the ATR or other R's. Turbo is the easiest way to give performance and keep within emissions guidelines. Tis a shame though
Yep. Some part of me thinks that the EU will eventually slow down on their emission standards, and we'll actually get NA cars again, but this is the EU we're talking about.

Who knows what goes through the minds of European bureaucrats... I'm damn sure they don't!

car manufacturers are now more interested in making cars 'sound' like vtec engines now to compensate for less than enthusiastic engine under the hood.