What's new

Road/auto transmission noise in 8th Gen

stonesfan

Members
Reaction score
Car
1999 Accord V6 Coupe
I know road noise is a bit higher than average for the type of car, but can the transmission particularly noisy too?

Had a look at at a lovely looking dark grey EX GT today. Ticked all the boxes on cosmetics. Very well presented car. Hell I liked this car. Price not bad for a main dealer. But test drive seemed to reveal a slightly noisier drivetrain sound than usual. Maybe it was just road noise but I'm not so sure.

This was the one with the tow bar fitted. Auto fluid seemed fine and wasn't that acrid burnt smell that an ailing tranny gives off. Drive was fine too, no jerking etc.

I've heard of complaints about road noise and 'drive' noise on some 8th gens. Just something to live with or signs of impending issues I wonder? Tempted to walk away (yet again) but is it anything specific that can be resolved I wonder.

I think test driving another auto should let you know if there's a problem with car. If it has full service history most likely it's fine.

There is road noise but there is a great thread on this site for the 7th gen showing how to reduce it massively.

man, by the time you get a car men will be in space.....!

most cars have road noise, my 7th gen had it, the only cars with little or no road noise would be a rolls royce (bit much..?!), my car is very quiet but not silent (especially over 4k when the typhoon kicks in ...mmmm!), its considerably less noisy than the accord. I never drove a 8th gen, did you drive another others to compare it to?

you seem to be pretty picky, every car you seem to have faults on tbh.

toffee_pie said:
man, by the time you get a car men will be in space.....!
tumblr_n3ev659ZRW1qmvxavo5_r2_500.jpg

I think it can also depend a lot on the tyres, some makes are a lot noisier than others especially if almost worn out.
check out the EU label for those tyres, see if the noise rating is high.
From my experience the 8th gen is in the middle, not really noisy but not really quiet.

^ yeah rear wheel noise in the Accord can be very high due to tyres, and the noise doesn't seem to come from the rear, but it does. There used to be lots of threads in the 7th gen about it, not any recently, though like buses, there could be a load about to arrive.

freddofrog said:
I presume you mean "humans will have landed on the planet Mars" :lol:
well pottering around galaxy clusters and vast intersections leading to distant planets in general, not necessarily driving on mars, hmmmm

better stop now. :blush:

freddofrog said:
^ yeah rear wheel noise in the Accord can be very high due to tyres, and the noise doesn't seem to come from the rear, but it does. There used to be lots of threads in the 7th gen about it, not any recently, though like buses, there could be a load about to arrive.

or taxis...

or random people heading to mars for a weekend break.