What's new

Rolling in gear

Hutch532

Members
Reaction score
Car
I-DTEC 2.2 EX Tourer
Helloo,
This post might defy the physics of automobiles but maybe someone could shed some light.

I'm on a course with work and have left the misses in charge of the accord (I hear sighs already). The cars due new disks and pads all round which are waiting on my return to be fitted. The handbrake isn't holding because of the disk wear on the rear, so its left in gear, but...it's rolling? I know from where it's parked that the ground is as good as flat so no gravity should be acting on it, and she isn't leaving the clutch in or key in the ignition. This one baffled me so I'm not sure if it's something she isn't doing or maybe a lurking mechanical fault like clutch wear or otherwise.

Thanks again

Chris

How far is it rolling and what gear is it left in?

Might have just been the engine settling - see if it goes any further? :lol: but becareful ;).

Haha yeh thanks dan, I'm sure time will tell, I'll contact my old man and get him to do a once over and see if he has the same problem

Surely in 1st gear the overall gear ratio is about 15:1.

This would mean that the engine would turn over 15 times for 1 wheel revolution.

The wheel circumference is about 80" so a foot of movement is just more than two engine revolutions.

I would have thought that the compression would hold the car within a 1/4 of an engine revolution.

This would be about an inch of movement.

^^ A long way of saying it, but I agree. Something ain't right mate.

I am still in that frame of mind, still on this course so not had a chance to get my hands dirty and find out what the deal is. I'll let you know how it goes as I get back on Friday. Wish me luck haha