What's new

Sainsburys Super unleaded

Ashz

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.4 accord
So I was passing Sainsburys the other day in my near empty 2.4 accord, and decided to try the super. Priced at 138.9 I put in £55 and with mixed driving a roads/motorway at 70, I got 308 miles then the fuel light appeared. Approx 35mpg not bad for a 2.4! What experiences have others had?

I use it all the time as it's cheap and my local Shell closed so no V-Power anymore :( I don't rate the sainsburys fuel though as it's supermarket stuff, ie. the quality isn't likely to be consistent as I understand they use various suppliers to keep costs down. Only reason I use it over the regular stuff they sell is that most of my cars should be run on 98+ octane fuel, and I can't justify a 25 mile round trip to get V-Power :(

I used it for about a year. It's alright. At best I managed 450 miles on super economical driving. However, the price broke the £1.40 mark and I was skint so went back to regular. I felt the difference going back to normal, but ran normal for a while after that. Now I've moved onto Shell as there's finally a Shell garage near me (can you believe for ages, there wasn't a Shell garage within a 15 mile drive of me!). Now there's one by my work, I fill up there every time. It's normal is good, it's V-Power is great (when I can afford it).

But I would recommend Sainsbury's super. I think the K24 has a partiality to it.

I think the K24 has a partiality to it.

I'm going to hazard a guess that this is down to the octane rating of the fuel - I'd be surprised if the K24 wasn't fitted with a knock sensor, which would retard your ignition timing if it detects detonation. Running higher octane fuel enables your engine to run uninhibited :D

iirc even on my 6th gen 2 litre engine the manual recommended 98 RON minimum, so I'd expect the K24 to need high octane fuel too.

My Prelude is recommended to run on 100 RON fuel, impossible to get in this country :(

Tesco 99 Ron since I brought the car and it loves it

Nah, it's fine with standard unleaded. Sign on the petrol cap door says 95 Ron. But sticking 97, 98, 99 is always that bit nicer. I think of it as giving the car a stronger than usual cup of coffee, it just has a little more get up and go :lol:

When i first got my 2.4 accord, i was running supermarket fuel of various types.. not really paying any great attention.

But i thought one day, just to try Shell or BP higher octane fuel.. best decision of my cars life. It feels better, it drives better, and when being gentle and economical. I've had abit more mileage out of higher octane fuels.

I cant give any figures as im ***** with numbers lol. But it does seem the car runs alot longer on the good stuff.

Its a matter of choice, and what your wallet can afford :)

Ssainsburys super is the same stuff as BP Ultimate. I've got a mate who manages the Sainsburys petrol station in Bury and that's what he said.

I'll personally only run Vpower or Momentum, i know it's only 1 octane, but the Scoobs been mapped on Vpower, and the Accord seems to hate anything else.