What's new

Sat Nav Disc - Map Update Question

Sphinx

Members
Reaction score
Car
2007 2.2i CTDi EX
Hi,

I did a search but it doesn't specifically answer my question.

I have 2006 DVD v3.x (sorry cant remember the exact version) - an want to update the disc to a newer map.

They seems be plenty on ebay - but some sellers say they are from a civic.

My questions is "are all Honda Sat Nav discs the same? or do I need one specifically for the Accord? "

Thanks.

The xx is the important bit dude.

The latest version is 3.52 and fits all Honda's within certain years.So if the 1 St number is 3 then your ok.
The version before was 3.42

Thanks - will have a look at the disk and update you on here.

Thanks - will have a look at the disk and update you on here.
Be careful its not a copy.Only use genuine disks as copy's will burn out you DVD twice as quick.

Right,

Took the existing disk out.

Its white and says the following :

Satellite Navigation System
Navteq on Board
TMC - Traffic Master - V-Traffic
Europe 2006-2007
APN2-46102
V3.04
Made in Japan.

Can anyone confirm which version I can upgrade to.

Many Thanks

the ones i said lol

:lol:

Just make sure its not a copy.

thats great.

Thanks for the info guys.

Guys do we have any concrete proof that copied discs destroy the laser quicker? Surely if someone has a 5 year old car and the sat nav has been used everyday then there is more chance of it failing than one thats only been used once a month for example? I'm just curious lol......

ask yourself this question how long does a copied CD or DVD last to an original.

You think? Think again.... Writeable media will only last a fraction of the time of factory pressed discs. Honda Sat Nav or otherwise.

The issue with copied discs in our Sat Navs is (ignoring copyright legalities for a moment) whether or not the drive is worn out by the copied discs. Now, I can remember two separate threads on the old forum where writeable media was blamed. Perhaps some one else will remember if this was backed up by a creditable technical argument from some one that knows how our drives work.

However. Is it worth the risk? £80 or so for an official disc vs. several hundreds of quid to get your drive repaired? It ain't some £10 job that fits a PC.

There is no real difference between original and copied - its all digital data - but it does depend on the blank discs you use. DVD Rom drives usually bump up the power of the laser on a non-original disc in effort to read the contents.

Have you ever put a burnt DVD in a drive and it just spins and spins for ages before it actually starts reading - or spits it out and you find the DVD is quite hot - this is all down to how good the laser is and how compatible it is with various media.

A dvd drive in a computer is fairly cheap to replace - the DVD ROM in the honda can cost £200 or more!

Not worth the hassle - in my opinion.

If it has to turn up the power of the laser quite often - I can see why it can get knackered fairly quickly.

**** - EDIT - Crossed posts with Dan.

:D Simples ;).

There's my technical argument
thumbs.gif

my verdict as well lol

There is no real difference between original and copied - its all digital data - but it does depend on the blank discs you use. DVD Rom drives usually bump up the power of the laser on a non-original disc in effort to read the contents.

Have you ever put a burnt DVD in a drive and it just spins and spins for ages before it actually starts reading - or spits it out and you find the DVD is quite hot - this is all down to how good the laser is and how compatible it is with various media.

A dvd drive in a computer is fairly cheap to replace - the DVD ROM in the honda can cost £200 or more!

Not worth the hassle - in my opinion.

If it has to turn up the power of the laser quite often - I can see why it can get knackered fairly quickly.

**** - EDIT - Crossed posts with Dan.

Do you have any technical info to back this up? Surely, if using a decent quality media and burning low speed- it makes no difference?

Not defending dodgy copies bdw, mine came with an original disk! Just making sure we are talking facts here....

Jake

It's not so much the burning, It's the reading.

The media is different. The data is etched onto the disc differently. It has different reflective properties. It also has a limited life as the material degrades.

hence why the lazer normally packs up

Hey guys I believe I have the 2006 version of the Sat Nav, is there any point updating? I dont really use it that much so would rather save spending on it if I can!

You answered your own question there really.

Haha true say! I was wondering if there are any updates that may be with the newer disks?

Well some new roads, some new poi, but even the latest disc is out of date by the time it is released.

:D no worries.

Flaming nora... have you read the posts above? Have you googled DVD-R longevity?