What's new

Sat Nav Disc - Map Update Question

Flaming nora... have you read the posts above? Have you googled DVD-R longevity?
Yes, quite a bit and there's plenty on the discs themselves degrading but nothing on home-copied discs causing earlier failure of the readers, So, if you could point me to this and help me understand the true problem, I'd be grateful.

The Discs should be burnt with the correct media ( verbatim ) is argubaly the best media available for OEM GPS duplication, there are conflicting reports on the speed the media should be burnt at. The Ideal speed tho really is the 2.4x speed.

If your using ***** media I would be very suprised if the standard HU even read the discs, as they are very fussy - hence why Verbatim is known for the greatest success and this media is expensive for a reason ( quality ) it's probably a better quality disc than Navteq use, or maybe even the same media!

I've got the latest version 3.52 ( west europe ) that I have done for a few people and it's been fine on every one of them.

I think this whole o it's going to ruin your dvd drive is a crock of *****. There's signs of anything struggling to read data, be it a pc or even a gps system if for example on the gps system the map was stuttering as you were driving along or the drive was loud then yer there would be issues. But again with Verbatim media this does not happen.

Verbatim works on all GPS system OEM.

There's a big difference between a standard disc burned on a duplication rig, and recordable media designed for home use. You really can't compare the two when it comes to degradation rates as you're comparing oxidation to dye damage - different causes, different consequences.