What's new

Sat Nav Failure

S60

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 8 gen
Sat nav is packed in. Fails to read the disc in warmer weather.

Dealer wants to send the unit to alpine for a new laser (Warrenty covered).

Is this a common issue?

It is on the 7th. Happened to me. This is the first time I've heard of it on the 8th. At least it's under warranty. Mine cost me £250!

This is the 1st case iv heard tbo

This is the 1st case iv heard tbo
The sat nav on my 8th gen failed earlier this year. Wouldn't boot. Fortunately it was still under warranty. It took six weeks to come back from Alpine. Unfortunately you loose the reversing camera and all the screen based audio controls. The radio, cd player and aux inputs still work but you can't navigate the aux input device to select folders or albums etc.

Amazing how much you miss something when it is taken away.

I saw the invoice from Alpine at the dealers and the repair cost was £179.

Glad to hear its under warranty. The only problems I've heard of is when a non genuine disk is used, i.e. a copy from Ebay.

Let us know how they sort it.

Yeah, when I sent mine off they basically take out the whole centre console on the 7th gen. I lost Air Con and everything. Right in the middle of summer. It was not so nice.

There is one good thing the DVD unit is in the boot so its easy to unplug

Sat nav is packed in. Fails to read the disc in warmer weather.

Dealer wants to send the unit to alpine for a new laser (Warrenty covered).

Is this a common issue?

Mine has done that several times since out of warranty I noted it tends to come up with that error if the car has not been used in my case several weeks, my cure is to eject the disc and re-insert and then switch the ignition back on and press the sat nav button, this has worked every time for me, also I have mentioned before if the car has been standing without use the reversing sensors give spurious indications after a few hours driving they correct themselves, this may be to do with the damp air, connections, not really sure but always corrects itself hope this helps.

My sat Nav packed up on my 7th gen a while back. Would not read the disk. Same option of sending it to alpine to get it fixed for £250. However I didn't want to pay that so took the unit apart and cleaned the laser. Put it back together and has been working fine since. On the 7th gen the lens gets dirty over time. However you do have to strip the unit a bit to get to the lens. I wouldn't be surprised alpine doesn't just do that and send it back with a £250 bill.

My sat Nav packed up on my 7th gen a while back. Would not read the disk. Same option of sending it to alpine to get it fixed for £250. However I didn't want to pay that so took the unit apart and cleaned the laser. Put it back together and has been working fine since. On the 7th gen the lens gets dirty over time. However you do have to strip the unit a bit to get to the lens. I wouldn't be surprised alpine doesn't just do that and send it back with a £250 bill.

Dropped the unit off to them on Thursday (Took it out myself - 4 Screws and a few plugs on the back) they recon 10 day turnaround so just waiting for it coming back.

PITA that ive lost everything on the screen in the meantime!

Dropped the unit off to them on Thursday (Took it out myself - 4 Screws and a few plugs on the back) they recon 10 day turnaround so just waiting for it coming back.

PITA that ive lost everything on the screen in the meantime!

STILL Havent had it back. Apparently the courier had sent it to the wrong dealer and now cant find it. They have until Tuesday to find it then failing that im getting a new unit.