What's new

Sat Nav flattened my battery

dennismate

Members
Reaction score
Car
8th Gen 2.0 EX Auto
Whilst still getting used to all the features of my EX, I spent 30 mins playing with the sat nav on my drive with the engine off, suddenly there was a beep and everything went off, tried to restart the engine and nothing, it would barely turn over, the sales guy at Honda did advise me to get used to all the systems with the engine running. I expected the sat nav to drain the battery somewhat, but not that much.... anyone else experienced this?

30 mins on the battery charger and it started up again fine

Nether had this but iv nether been on the sat nav more than 15 min.
You might have a weak battery.

If the battery is as small as they are on a 7th gen then this is probably not unusual.

I would get the battery checked if it worries you.

could be due to say nav. I would get the battery checked though just to make sure.

As with the others - the 7th gen battery is very small for the toys....camt see the 8th being any different really.

any idea if the approved used honda warranty covers this? I'm guessing not

How old is the car.As a guess I would say there is a 2 year warranty on a Honda battery or more

Doubt it dude.

it's an early 8th gen 2008 model with 21K on the clock, which is why I'm guessing it's down to me, luckily I did budget for repairs when making my decission

Don't worry - I have done this several times - even with AC off. Sat Nav screen+Tunes-Engine = Quick call to the nearest Rugby team for a push start.

Get the highest capacity/warranty your wallet can stretch to.

Whilst still getting used to all the features of my EX, I spent 30 mins playing with the sat nav on my drive with the engine off,

Cant recall where I read it, maybe the handbook, but there is an advisory NOT to use the electrical system (radio/sat nav etc) for more than a few minutes without the engine running as this drains ther battery faster than anything. Irrespective of whether its petrol or diesel.

How old is the car.As a guess I would say there is a 2 year warranty on a Honda battery or more
3yrs warranty with batterys just changed mine last week. It died on me in jan had it for nearly 2yrs,luckily i had bought one from HH when on offer so got a spare again now

It's very easy to run the battery down on the Accord 7th/8th gen. I've done it 4 times :blush:. I did it a while back and had the AA out. The AA guy said that a lot of modern cars have really weak batteries relative to their engine sizes. Says that most family saloons have the same issues, especially now integrated sat nav systems are becoming commonplace.

He said partly to make the green lobbyists happy (as the chemicals used aren't quite so dangerous, but that results in not quite as much holding power), mixed with other cost cutting and weight saving initiatives, you end up with a battery that simply doesn't hold its charge for very long.

Then consider that when you have a large engine like a 2.0, 2.2 or 2.4, you need a ballsy starter motor, which requires a good kick of juice to get started. Basically, if you want to play with the toys, leave the engine running. Even if your battery still has juice, but is a bit run down, you might not be able to turn the engine :unsure: .

All makes sense to me.

A-EX said:
Cant recall where I read it, maybe the handbook, but there is an advisory NOT to use the electrical system (radio/sat nav etc) for more than a few minutes without the engine running as this drains ther battery faster than anything. Irrespective of whether its petrol or diesel.
yup, experienced a flat the other day after 10 minutes or so satnav usage on my 7th Gen without starting it up first, so this explains nicely, so thanks for pointing it out! Put the battery on charge, and 1.5hrs later fully charged! :)