What's new

Sat Nav Repair

Shakey60

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 CDTI Exec
Well, it finally happened, my Sat Nav has given up the ghost, I've cleaned the disc, I've cleaned the lazer lens, but with no success.

So, has anyone sent their Sat Nav DVD player for repair ????????

Or does anyone know of a cheap replacement that would fit the Accord ?????

Help please, because anything has got to be better than having my Missus trying to read a map

There was someone on the other site that could repair these I'm sure, for less than £100.. anyone remember who it was?

ye guys your right there was someone from the other site i think he put a post to repair sat nav.dam what was his name

funnily enough i have removed 2 sat navs from accords this last week because of a sat nav error and cd stuck in the drive. i am not sure of prices as i dont deal in that side of things, i just strip and fit realy. but the customer can send it to alpine or the dealer. both sat navs i removed this week the customers sent them off there selves. its a hell of a lot cheeper than a new unit.
remember though guys that with satnavs on the accord if the fault is a dvd error you need the dvd drive (under the satnav) reparing.

There was someone on the other site that could repair these I'm sure, for less than £100.. anyone remember who it was?
You are right, though all he was doing was getting someone to turn up the gain on the drive to the laser. This would only work if it was the laser that was dying due to lowered output. The gain is carefully calibrated when new, you can tweak it yourself, but without a standard calibration disk and a means to measure what is being done, it can be a risk, over drive the laser and it will overheat and have its life shortened, worse case being instant death!
When I last spoke to Alpine they would charge a fixed price of £160 (or thereabouts) to repair the DVD unit, as you've already tried all the DIY solutions that might be the best option now, their number is 0845 313 1642.

Would it be possible to replace the laser with a standard dvd drive laser? I bet they look the same.

Thanks for all the help lads .... at least I have a starting point ....

Just spotted this on The Bay of Ebe

CD-mechanism for Honda navigation unit:

- BN434AC
- BN443
- BN453PO
- BN521

£250 or best offers .... maybe worth a shot .... but I have a 2005 Accord and would love to get an upgrade and then maybe a new disc with the lastest upgrades .... but ... maybe it's because I'm an old guy but search as I may, I can't find the relevant info for which is the best one to purchase??????

CJ will probably know !!!!!

CJ, this is what I typed in and up came the advert

CD-mechanism for Honda navigation unit:

There's also this:Clicky if you're handy with a screwdriver (and ***uming that it is the correct item - not sure what the model number of the satnav drive is but I know that it's made by Alpine)

As has already been said though, it may work fine if you just plug it in but the laser diode power needs to be set correctly to ensure that it's not overdriven otherwise it's life will be shortened considerably.

I'm handy with tools & soldering iron but all things considered I reckon that £160 isn't too hard to swallow if you're getting a warranty on the repair from Alpine. I recall passing an Alpine office in Coventry recently, not far from where there's a new Costco being built.

I'm finding that I quite like the Accord's satnav now. I've been using a small Navigon unit for a while in my Punto but before that I used Blaupunkt DX-N satnav for many years. Didn't look very up to date (no 3d maps etc) but it very rarely got me lost !

Cheers
Robin

I've just purchased one of the mechanisms from eBay; my DVD ROM gave up the ghost about a week ago.

The part number is on a yellow sticker on the underside of the unit (4 bolts removed, slide the unit out and unplug)

Once the unit is out, you can undo the screws at the rear and lift the top off. The mechanism is just mounted on 4 posts inside the main unit, and connected by a flat ribbon cable. If the mechanism is removed and the box reassembled, the sat nav touch screen will be live, but obviously no sat nav functionality.

I'll let you know how it goes when my new guts arrive.

Just sent my DVD drive off to Alpine today. Tried to find a replacement on ebay but received the wrong one. Apparently the post 2005 drive is different to my 2003 unit! Now I have no sat nav or heater controls for a while. Hope it don't snow.

My ebay 'dvd guts' turned up today, just fitting now.

The electrostatic bag had this marked on it:

http://www.sune-tech.com/e-index.asp

Specifically this unit is mine:

http://www.sune-tech.com/e-product_detail.asp?prod_id=225

Seems they produce most of the internals for most manufacturers. THe part number on the new internals matches the old unit - apart from the last few digits. Fingers crossed.

Just fitted this, now all working again. Yippee.

For those interested, I offered £200 on the eBay auction and it was accepted. I'm sure if someone emailed they could get it cheaper. It was shipped DHL and arrived in 3 days from Japan.

;)

Excellent Richard, as CJ says this will make a great DIY. Would be much appreciated if you could pull one together for the club.

Cheers

Fahad

I'll dismantle and redo the job with photos. I'm off to Cyprus for a week with work tomorrow, and had to get it done so the wife has it whilst I'm away. Will get it done when I'm back.

;)

Just a quick update. The DVD guts that I bought from eBay have stopped working after about 1 week. At first the Sat Nav system worked perfectly (needed rebooting and resetting), then a little drive round the block for it to work out where it was. Now, nothing, back to square 1 with a DVD disc Reading Error. :-(

Already contacted the seller, who'll accept returns, and now thinking that sending it to Alpine may be a sensible option.

Just got mine back from Alpine today. I will reinstall it tomorrow and let you know the results. Paid £176 to get it reapired and it took about 7 working days.

That's very good to know Ray, cheers!

Happy to report that my satnav is back and up and running. It seems to be recalculating a little bit faster than before. While I had it out of the dash I also installed a IO Play Bluetooth Handsfree Kit. A real nice piece of equipment. Mutes the music whilst on the phone and you can clearly hear your conversation through the four speakers in the door. Noticed that it doesn't mute the subs or the tweeters though!
Next job is maybe a xcarlink and some LED sidelights. Have to also find a replacement Epsilon wheel as my nearside front needs replacing(slightly buckled)
Off to NewYork later today but will be watching from the Laptop. Cheerio!

Happy to report that my satnav is back and up and running. It seems to be recalculating a little bit faster than before. While I had it out of the dash I also installed a IO Play Bluetooth Handsfree Kit. A real nice piece of equipment. Mutes the music whilst on the phone and you can clearly hear your conversation through the four speakers in the door. Noticed that it doesn't mute the subs or the tweeters though!
Next job is maybe a xcarlink and some LED sidelights. Have to also find a replacement Epsilon wheel as my nearside front needs replacing(slightly buckled)
Off to NewYork later today but will be watching from the Laptop. Cheerio!

Hi just came across this post. My Sat nav has been playing up for about a year now, saying "DVD disc is reading an error". Will probably send it to Alpine as recommended on this post.
Do you need a 4 digit passcode ? I've seen this talked about on other sites, but not sure where I would find my code, so just wondering if I really need it.
Thanks all.

No the code is not needed. Have you tried cleaning the lense yet?

No the code is not needed. Have you tried cleaning the lense yet?

Hi Dan Robinson...... No I haven't. In actual fact I'm not sure if it might just be the disc that needs replacing. Asked Honda dealer if they would let me borrow one of their discs to see if it was, but they wouldn't have it and wanted me to get it booked in.

Is there a write up on how I go about cleaning the lens ? Both for cleaning and repairing - I presume it's just the DVD drive that I need to remove as oppose to the main screen unit that sits above it ?

Yeah, if do a search for Jav, dvd and shabz it should present itself.