Sat Nav Routing Options

geoffdragon

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord 2.2 ex
Hi all,
2005 Cdti EX.
Not had the car long but love it already.
The Sat Nav is the pre-facelift touchscreen type, running V2.06 (original Honda disc) and when I put routes in it the "shortest route" button is always blanked out.
Have searched through all the menus and can't find if there's anything that enables/disables this function.
Seems I'm stuck with "fastest route" unless anyone has any ideas.
Thanks in advance,
Geoff
:unsure:

Just spent an hour in my car trying to solve your problem but I come to the same dilemma, if I select an already entered destination then I get the full monty but when entering a new address I get "fastest route"and no "shortest route" as that one is blanked off in blue no idea how to clear it. Like you I have read the book but cannot find an answer. Got to be an age thing at least with me it is!!

Maybe if we start our journey then deliberatly go off route the thing may sort itself out??

I'd like to add to the list of problems by asking how you might cancel a route to stop directions being given if my destination changes or I just want some quiet time?

Hi, edgeoftime, far and above the call of duty LOL.

Seriously, thanks for trying. I guess I'm classed as senior as well, but have been involved in computers for about 30 years. This one confuses me though.
No "shortest route" for me on either new or stored routes, although I admit I haven't tried your suggestion about deliberately going off route. Thats an interesting concept.

Hi ericuk,
the instructions to cancel the route are in the sat nav book. It's in the car at the moment, but I'll have a look tomorrow and let you know, unless another member comes back sooner.

Geoff

ericuk.
Havent used many options on satnav, but from instruction book :
While on the map display, Press the cancel (return) button and the "change method" screen is displayed.
Select the "Stop Guidance" button.
Don't know if that jumps back to map screen or you have to press the map button.

Hope that helps,
Geoff

Hi again,
Spent a little time playing today, and strange results.
Any route entered within about 50 miles, gives all the routing options.
Anything further doesn't give the "shortest distance" option.
Strange that anything over 50 miles takes me out of Wales and into England.
Hope the sat nav isn't looking for a country change.
I'm sure thats not the problem, but still the plot thickens.
Going to Gatwick next week so it will be interesting to see what happens when I turn off the M4 to go through Bracknell to the M3.
I'm sure it will recalculate OK.
Geoff

I have come to the conclusion that the fastest route is the shortest route, and then you can minimise the motorways and toll roads.

Hi, I don't know if I agree with that conclusion, because the route that started this enquiry is from aberdare to gatwick airport. The nav says fastest (and only available option) is via m4, m25 and m23. The shortest is m4, a329 ( Bracknell), m3, m25 and m23. I prefer that route as it avoids the heavy m4/m25 junction and west London traffic. Anyway, once I turn off m4 at junction 10, I'm sure it will sort itself out.
Just as an aside, garmin and autoroute also give my preferred route as their default.
Regards, geoff

geoffdragon said:
Hi, I don't know if I agree with that conclusion, because the route that started this enquiry is from aberdare to gatwick airport. The nav says fastest (and only available option) is via m4, m25 and m23. The shortest is m4, a329 ( Bracknell), m3, m25 and m23. I prefer that route as it avoids the heavy m4/m25 junction and west London traffic. Anyway, once I turn off m4 at junction 10, I'm sure it will sort itself out.
Just as an aside, garmin and autoroute also give my preferred route as their default.
Regards, geoff
When I said it was an age thing I was referring to the unit in the car!! as well as us. LOL, aNY WAY WHAT DO US OLD UNS FIND THE NEED FOR THESE NEW FANGLED THINGS?? give me the lode stone and the moon and stars!!

Profound apologies.
Being a bit senior myself, as soon as someone mentions age, I start to think that's what they are talking about.
You're absolutely correct, in saying some new things are just toys, I started driving 45 years ago and can still rememnber how to read road signs.
But these toys are still a nice way to pass the time.
Use a magnetised needle and piece of cotton LOL.
Best regards,
Geoff

geoffdragon said:
Hi again,
Spent a little time playing today, and strange results.
Any route entered within about 50 miles, gives all the routing options.
Anything further doesn't give the "shortest distance" option.
Strange that anything over 50 miles takes me out of Wales and into England.
Hope the sat nav isn't looking for a country change.
I'm sure thats not the problem, but still the plot thickens.
Going to Gatwick next week so it will be interesting to see what happens when I turn off the M4 to go through Bracknell to the M3.
I'm sure it will recalculate OK.
Geoff
Hi Geoff, Have you tried showing it your Passport :p .

Only need that to come back into wales. That's what the booths on the Severn bridges really are. Regards, geoff

geoffdragon said:
Only need that to come back into wales. That's what the booths on the Severn bridges really are. Regards, geoff
Yeah and going the long way round would sort of defeat the object :) .

It seemed remarkably simple. The button to press looks as though its a "go back" button so would not have thought to press it lol