What's new

SatNav won't GPS

jamesruk21

Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.4i EX
Hi All,
Noob here.
My sat nav stopped working recently in that it would go off on one and track me to locations I was not travelling to.
So I've had a quick look in the book, no GPS icon, it's stopped working because of this me thinks. A battery off reboot doesn't get past the white background and red text screen of death telling me it's trying to find signal etc... but it doesn't.
It seems to track yaw fine, although that seems to be a bit wrong now, I ***ume the GPS regularly resets this, which is why its off because its going to have some error in measurement.
I've been on here for half an hour looking for instructions on how to get the top cover off so I can see what the antennas all about and possibly replace it but I can't find it.
Anyone got the link they could point me to?

I've got a 57 reg 7th gen Accord Saloon 2.4 EX
It's a pretty awesome machine other than that. Just paid for 12 months tax though, not happy with that, lot of pain involved...
Ta
Jim

High Jim welcome to TA.
Have you had a look at the hidden menu in our cars.
This will tell you the strength of signal and run a test of the system.
You need to hold 3 buttons down at once to get the menu up.
From memory it's enter/info and menu.
Someone will clarify this Jim

Just found it Jim
Map/Cancel/Menu button all at the same time

Ah that's great, just had a play with the new menu, been to GPS information.
I checked the lat and long, its not right for where I am in the world, ***ume the number of satellites bar should be filled a bit, the direction is wrong too, I was pointing very east.
What's next? I saw the promise of instructions on how to flip the lid and poke about with the cables, but I couldn't find it. Anyone got a link?
Alternatively, does the image look wrong for a different reason?

Damn, can't upload image, so, number of satellites bar was black, ***ume this means empty, there's one blue dot on the compass on the right. The time was correct, but the lat and long probably put me in Japan or something.

What should I be poking on the other options to get an idea? I pushed unit check and everything came back green.

Sorry for all the qs, I really want to get this fixed, because its a good unit when it works and I really like the car.
Ta
Jim

Yes it should be seeing a whole list of satelites.
The aerial is under the top center of the dash near the windscreen behind the clock etc.
To remove this panel you need to use something wide and flat, force it down between the sides of the dashboard and the center top panel.
When you lever it will suddenly pop free.
The sides of the dash are slightly squishy and will bounce back into shape.

I've seen a few people using kitchen utensils for this such as a burger flipper etc but I found my ice scraper worked better for me as it was a bit stronger and didn't flex as much.
The aerial looks like a standard square gps type aerial though you might want to check that the lead hasn't come lose from the head unit for some reason.

Getting the top panel off is dead easy. If you don`t have a trim removal tool I normally use a paint scraper. Where it joins the top of the satnav unit push something thin in there, lever it up, and it should flick up. You can then do the same with the sides. You can then lift it off and move it to one side. If I can find the link I`ll edit and post it but its usually in the Xcarlink instructions.

Here you go, its a link to civicinfo but it explains perfectly Civinfo

GPS aerials are cheap as chips on eBay. I've no idea if Honda one's fail, but Renault ones do commonly fail (I had to replace one in our Espace). If the Accord one is there in the dash then it would be a piece of cake to replace necessary.