What's new

Scraping or grinding metal noise when i turn slow or fast

Mr CL7

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.0 petrol CL7
Guys,

I've noticed recently that when i turn corner slowly or fast there is a grinding metal like noise coming from the rear of my car. What could this be?

I am running 18 X 9.5 et 38 in the rears with a -3.50 camber. The rear arches are flaired and the lips rolled back so there is no chance that the wheel is hitting the arch there is sufficient clearance. I'm ***uming it may be that the wheel is touching some part of the coil over or something? In a straight like i am OK.

Thanks

Faz

Check for internal rubbing marks on the strut or arch liners..

Yep anything thats looks shinny could be your culprit.

Dude what me and Andy have is a drop..

What you have is a pothole disaster waiting to happen :lol:

A few phrases come to mind,

"if you aint tuckin you aint low"

"If you aint layin frame you aint low"

As for the scraping, its probs your fuel tank :lol:

might be worth checking the splash shields too (behind your discs)

Are the rear brake pads OK and not worn down ? My colleague has just had an identical problem with his '04 Civic which turned out to be low pads on the nearside.

Cheers
Robin

Yes could be rear pads making a noise, At the recent meet I got my rear pads changed as they were worn and there is an indicator on them that starts to rub on the disc but it should be making that noise all the time as there should be no play between any of them parts.

My thoughts are the coilovers are rubbing, have seen this before on other cars. Get the wheels off and have a good look round. Then also insoect the tyres for any wear marks. Hope that helps

Are the rear brake pads OK and not worn down ? My colleague has just had an identical problem with his '04 Civic which turned out to be low pads on the nearside.

Cheers
Robin

Robin the break pads were only changed recently so i doubt it is that mate :D

Yes could be rear pads making a noise, At the recent meet I got my rear pads changed as they were worn and there is an indicator on them that starts to rub on the disc but it should be making that noise all the time as there should be no play between any of them parts.

My thoughts are the coilovers are rubbing, have seen this before on other cars. Get the wheels off and have a good look round. Then also insoect the tyres for any wear marks. Hope that helps

Will do after my meet tomorrow Shabz.

by my calculations your inner wheel clearance has reduced by 20mm with this new wheel setup on the rear. But the fact you're running wild camber too will tip the top of the wheel even closer towards the strut. I hope you aint rubbing the strut or anything buddy. I'd whip the rear wheels off and check for any markings on either the struts of the inner sidewall of the tyres.

Ok guys had the car looked at and my ***umption was correct. The insane -3.50 camber and the extra weight made my camber even worse and it has scraped a chunk out of the black nut and the lower coilover housing! Luckily i got the camber reduced to just over -2 on both sides and fingers crossed i haven't heard no noise.

Check this out

IMG_0500.jpg

It's to be expected when you run an insane stance up back like me :(