What's new

Seats sliding when braking/cornering hard

-Rich-

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.4 Tourer Auto
I can't really find much about this, is it a common problem? Both front seats slide forward slightly whenever I brake or corner hard. It's not rocking like the bolts are loose but actually sliding and the seats I have are all electric and heated.

Anyway to fix it?

hmm never heard of that before, do the seats work properly when adjusting them forward and backwards?

Yeah my brothers 2.4 does this, it's the rails and the latching mechanism within them is worn. Not they are not sliding far, maybe 1cm, but it's enough to notice and it can be a bit disconcerting. The solution would be to replace the rails with new (or a breakers one). He didn't bother/

It's exactly as above, can't move any more than 1cm. Do you have any idea what used rails cost and when you say rails is this the seat base/frame you're referring to?

I'm just abit concerned it could be picked up on the mot.

Well, I wouldn't be buying off Honda new, they are circa £1K new!!

(see part 1 here)
http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=17SEA01&block_02=B__4022&block_03=2768

TBH, your best bet is a breakers, no idea what you'd pay, you'll have to ring around. It's just the mechanism you want

Now, I never bothered to strip down the mechanisms (its a 4 way motor set), but the forward/back is only 1 motor, so it could just be 1 gear and repairable, but then again I always find seats awkward to strip

That looks like a good fix! Hopefully it will work.

I normally give airbags 20 mins to discharge - though in practice it should be less that this. Remove the negative terminal and go have breakfast / lunch.

I'm waiting for the weather to improve so I can try it. The drivers seat in our Civic is rocking on the rails now, it's bolted down ok so I need to look at that one too. What is it with Honda seats!!

This is a very common problem. I had it on mine and as for as im aware nobody as of yet has posted a fix. To be honest i was to lazy to get under and attempt to tighten the bolts that secure the seat but its definitely worth a try.

Got the seat out today and all the bolts were nice and tight. I undid the 2 holding this bush down, prised it out, rotated it 90 degrees and put it back in. The bent sides were over the frame, so the flat sides are now in this position.

A little bit fiddly and you will get messy with all the grease on the motors but it's worked!! :D Went for a drive with lots of hard braking/cornering and it's rock solid. Time will tell as to how long it'll last though.

Now where can I buy bushes like these?

post-438-0-36602700-1395922634.jpg

Well done Rich! Is that bush rubber or solid plastic? Could you get the part fabricated?

jayok said:
Well done Rich! Is that bush rubber or solid plastic? Could you get the part fabricated?
It's very soft rubber and TBH it's probably more like a grommet. I'll see if I can remove one from the passenger seat without taking it out of the car and try to find a suitable replacement once I've got the measurements. I should have done that yesterday!! :rolleyes:

Hi Rich,

Subscribed! This is a really annoying problem....and seems to be common to various Honda's here and in the USA....shame it hasn't been addressed by Honda!

Really keen to see a permanent fix!

Keep us posted.

Simon