What's new

Seized Headlamp Adjuster

Stevearcade

TA Friend
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
2003 Accord CM2
Last year my car failed it's MOT as the aim was too high on the near side headlamp. They couldn't adjust it with the adjuster as it was seized. They had to remove the bumper and headlamp, apparently then the mechanic aligned headlamp with a bodge of some sort and put it back in. Now I don't know if the adjuster is still there or not. I'm going to check tomorrow. I also don't know if the lamp is still in focus or not. But my MOT is two months away and I would rather sort it than take the gamble and have it fail its MOT.

Now Honda said I need to replace the whole headlamp at over £400 :wacko: . I think that's crazy as the rest of the headlamp is fine. The adjuster is a single part that costs about £130. Has anyone got any experience with this? Have you successfully managed to replace the affected part? If so, have you got any guides or tips?

Thanks.

Steve

Right so I've just gone outside and had a look at things. I'm even more confused now?

Firstly, there are slots where it tells you which way to turn to make + and - adjustments. But there aren't actually any screws there. Although I imagine this is a generic part for all cars and so simply has this and I ignore this as I have self levelling lights. That's ok, I get that.

But then I start thinking if I have self levelling lights why do they need adjusters on the headlamps at all and why are they seizing and causing my car to fail its MOT and causing Honda to raise £400+ quotes :angry: .

According to the diagram here part 13 is the adjuster and that's what's seized. Although I still don't get why I need one. I can see this part 13 on the back of the lamp, but can't see how to adjust it (maybe I'm being thick here, I don't know).

Can anyone please tell me if this is a simple part to change and/or fix? Honda won't really be drawn on changing just this part. They only want to replace the whole lamp <_< .

Any help at all greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Right so I've just gone outside and had a look at things. I'm even more confused now?

Firstly, there are slots where it tells you which way to turn to make + and - adjustments. But there aren't actually any screws there. Although I imagine this is a generic part for all cars and so simply has this and I ignore this as I have self levelling lights. That's ok, I get that.

But then I start thinking if I have self levelling lights why do they need adjusters on the headlamps at all and why are they seizing and causing my car to fail its MOT and causing Honda to raise £400+ quotes :angry: .

According to the diagram here part 13 is the adjuster and that's what's seized. Although I still don't get why I need one. I can see this part 13 on the back of the lamp, but can't see how to adjust it (maybe I'm being thick here, I don't know).

Can anyone please tell me if this is a simple part to change and/or fix? Honda won't really be drawn on changing just this part. They only want to replace the whole lamp <_< .

Any help at all greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Hi Steve,

I'm not sure if you've the EX (aka with HIDs) or a Type S. If it's with HIDs the dealer probably only wants to replace the headlamp as it's much less tricky to level out after the failure. If it's normal Halogen lens then, you could probably change this yourself.

When you look at the adjustment for the lights, you won't see a screw for the UP/DOWN adjustment, but simply and empty hole. Where this is suppose to go is directly into the headlight adjusting motor so you can adjust the level within certain parameters. Now, if the motor is seized then you won't be able to turn this, as it will stay at the same level, however, if you can turn it but theres no change in adjustment, you may find that the actual adjusting arm itself is broken. If it is, this involves a new headlamp ***embly OR disassembly of the headlamp itself (out with the over and start melting the seal).

If, its the motor, I'd have a spare one knocking around here, you could have it for the price of postage?

J.

Ah, I just clicked the link and see it's an EX with HIDs. Problem with Part 13 is that it fits into the lens holder and if it needs to be replaced, you'd have to disassemble the whole lot. Now you can do a DIY jobbie on this if you interested. I probably can get some photos when I get into the garage! :)

Thanks for the relies. Yes they're HID, it's the Exec, all the extras baby ;) . If the DIY solution to replace part 13 is not too hectic then yes, I'll have a go and would greatly appreciate some pictures to help my understanding of this. However, if it's a mental fiddly job (bearing in mind I'll be doing this at the roadside :( ), then maybe it's worth just putting my hand in my pocket, buying a replacement and getting Honda to fit it.

They quoted me £400 all in. But HH will beat my local garage on the part price by a reasonable amount, so I might buy the reduced price headlamp and get Honda to fit it. What do you think?

Thanks for the relies. Yes they're HID, it's the Exec, all the extras baby ;) . If the DIY solution to replace part 13 is not too hectic then yes, I'll have a go and would greatly appreciate some pictures to help my understanding of this. However, if it's a mental fiddly job (bearing in mind I'll be doing this at the roadside :( ), then maybe it's worth just putting my hand in my pocket, buying a replacement and getting Honda to fit it.

They quoted me £400 all in. But HH will beat my local garage on the part price by a reasonable amount, so I might buy the reduced price headlamp and get Honda to fit it. What do you think?

why don't you fit the thing yourself. Its a doddle.

TBH - if it's just the motor, it's pretty straightforward. Two clips will have it out and in your hand.

If you can wait, I'll get up some photos and you can decide from there.

I found MR CL7's write up for replacing the headlamp. Actually seems pretty straight forward.

Do you think I do need to bight the bullet and buy the whole headlamp ***embly then?

I found MR CL7's write up for replacing the headlamp. Actually seems pretty straight forward.

Do you think I do need to bight the bullet and buy the whole headlamp ***embly then?

Well, I wouldn't pay £400 if I could get away with it!! :)

Seriously, if it's just the motor, it's a very small part and cost much less ££££

It depends how you get on with DIY's really. I have had both my headlights apart and its not that difficult to be honest. If it was going to save me £400 i would have a damn good go anyway.

TBH - if it's just the motor, it's pretty straightforward. Two clips will have it out and in your hand.

If you can wait, I'll get up some photos and you can decide from there.

By the motor, do you mean that part 13? The Adjuster? If so, yes please can I see some pictures of what you're doing to remove it and most likely I'll take the one you've got :D and get this sorted before my next MOT.

Thanks man.

By the motor, do you mean that part 13? The Adjuster? If so, yes please can I see some pictures of what you're doing to remove it and most likely I'll take the one you've got :D and get this sorted before my next MOT.

Yep, part 13. I replace my headlights with two refurbed ones and the spares are knocking around (ones broke and the other is scratched to bits, so they are really just for spares) I can get the motor off for you. Before I do I'll take photos to show you what to do.

That's legendary mate. Thanks a million.

:D

Ok, I started with this and decided, it was probably just quicker to do a video of the replacement, as photos wouldn't really capture what you needed to do clearly enough.

I've uploaded it to youtube here:

Headlight Adjust Replacement

OT - Wow when you see yourself talk on video, you realise how much you actually ramble on!! :)

Jayok! :D You are a legend!!! I simply did not understand this at all until now. I couldn't figure out what these things were or anything. I just don't know enough about these things. I now understand this completely, it makes complete sense and it's amazingly simple. Thank you so much. I'm stuck at work until 10 tonight, but will try and have a look tomorrow and see if I can remove it. From what I've seen here, I'm wondering if I can actually de-seize the mechanism. Give it a good clean and re grease it. If that works, maybe do the other side too. If it doesn't work, you'll no doubt here from me :lol: . Thanks again though man, this has really brought what was a really intimidating issue down to earth. Goes to show, knowledge is power.

:D

..., I'm wondering if I can actually de-seize the mechanism. Give it a good clean and re grease it. If that works, maybe do the other side too. ...

No problem Steve - glad to see it helped. No harm in trying to unseize the motor if you can. It would mean a lot less messing with the headlights overall.

Cheers.

Steve really sorry mate but I missed this thread, I had this same fact issue on my last Accord, I changed the adjuster, cost me a tenner from my local breakers and its a simple pop out and back in job! hope you get it done!

Great video Jason! :) also Steve, I bet you its not the actual headlamp, it will be the motor before you do anything do this....

open the bonnet
stand in front of the car looking into the engine bay
get someone else to put the car into ignition (second key click)
ask them to switch on the headlights (as yours is a 2.4 auto then it will try & self level when you switch on the lights)
then you should hear the motors trying to work
if you cant hear the offending side motor buzzing then its fault and replace the motor (same problem as on my car)

btw dont start the car as it will drown the noise lol, keep trying the above steps, one of them motors won't make a noise, so all you need is a new motor :)

J4JAV, the motor? Which part is that? Is that part of the head lamp ***embly or is located somewhere near to it? Might you have a picture?

J4JAV, the motor? Which part is that? Is that part of the head lamp ***embly or is located somewhere near to it? Might you have a picture?

The motor is the part I showed you in the video.

the number 13 part in your original picture post ;)

Oh right, sorry. I really don't get this do I :blush: :lol: .

Yeah, I'm going to whip out that adjustor/motor whatever it is and see if I can give it a good clean and get it moving again. Failing that, I'll be hassling Jason for one of his spares ;) .

Seriously thanks for all the input on this one guys. You've saved me a small fortune. I'll keep you all updated on the situation, but likely won't get chance to have a poke around until later in the week.

:)

Ok, all sorted. Jason sent me the part and I fitted it today. Thought it would be a 1 minute job as it looked so easy in his video, took a bit longer :rolleyes: .

The seized adjustor was a mission to get out, I couldn't extend it to begin with as it was seized and ended up getting the pliers on the case. Still couldn't get it to budge. In the end I got some tweezer nosed pliers and started breaking bits off it until all that was left was the actual adjustor rod. Then I could remove it.

But I had a feeling getting the new one in would be problematic as it was so tight for space. I was right. I tried in vein for about 15-20 minutes to get the ball end of the adjustor rod to actually slot into the recess in the headlamp. No joy. I couldn't get a tight enough angle as there was a piece of metal framework from the engine bay above the headlamp that was in the way. So the only solution was to remove the headlamp. So roadside, bumper off, headlamp out, adjustor slotted in correctly first go, no problems. Put it all back together, job done. Will drive it tonight to see how it's focussing.

Thanks everyone for their help and thanks again Jason for the part. In all it took me little over an hour, cost me about £6.50 in postage and it's one MOT advisory I needn't worry about come for my upcoming MOT. Not to mention Honda wanted to replace the whole headlamp and charge me £400 for the privilege <_< . Gotta love Type Accord.

:)

Well done Steve! Of course, the video had it headlamp out of the car :)

Well done. It is a bit(!) fiddly as I found out when I did mine at the weekend. They weren't seized but were getting very stiff to move. After a good spray of some suitable lubricant and a bit of working to and fro they freed up beautifully.

Taking the light out is definitely the way to go. Otherwise there's too little room and you can't see what you're doing.

Alan