What's new

Service intervals

ajon111

Members
Reaction score
Car
2005 Euro i-CTDi
Well, I've had my i-CTDi for just over a month now and it's going well. I'm regularly getting 54mpg without having to try very hard, driving nearly 600 miles each week on a mix of A & B type roads here in NZ :lol:

As well as having the only Accord i-CDTi in NZ (plenty of 2.4 i-VTECs tho), I think I've probably got the lowest mileage accord in the world ... 2005 & just coming up to 11500 miles ... just getting run in :D

So now to servicing ... Honda serviced the car at 8500 miles (not sure what exactly they did) so I plan to have another service at about 13k, and then regularly every 8-10k. Is there any where online that I can but genuine Honda parts? Or a UK dealer that will send to the Antipodes? That way I can compare costs to what Honda NZ will charge me for the parts.

Also, from doing a service search, I see that the regular 12.5k service entails oil & filter, air filter, and pollen filter ... anything else? However, I don't have either owners manual or service manual, so can someone outline when other services occur and what should be done?

Cheers, AJ ;)

AJ,

If it's the first service and it's a 2005 car and you have no idea what was done previously, personally I would do everything once for peace of mind:

Fuel Filter
Air Filter
Oil and Filter
Pollen Filter
Brake Fluid
Clutch Fluid
Transmission Fluid

After that, personally I would stick to Oil and Filter Changes every 6k miles and then include Fuel and Air Filters every other service or every third service at worst. Do the Pollen filter as required.

You can contact Holdcroft Honda (our affiliated dealer) to ask whether they would be willing to ship to NZ for a club member.

Cheers

Fahad

If you are driving on those non metalled roads you have down there then deffo oil/air filter / new oil every 6.000 miles. Or give the air filter a kick round the garage floor and put it back in. The 12.000 mile interval is too much IMHO, even for us here in the UK.

Yep no idea what Honda were thinking with 12k intervals. It's suicide on an ICTDI.

Kewl, thanks for the help :D Looks like I will be servicing the car every 12 weeks

Fortunately, I don't have to worry about unsealed roads: although I live in the country, they have managed to seal the roads all the way to my front gate ... albeit with coarse chip which is essentially stone chips laid over hot tarseal and rolled in! Still have to clean the car each week to wash off the excrement from when farmers have had their cows crossing the road :p

Car is back at Honda NZ, found it full of water in the rear passenger area so have taken it in for them to look at .... they've lent me the most expensive car on their yard for me to run around in, an automatic petrol CRV! Trip computer display showed an average fuel use 14.5L/100km (19.5 mpg), but I've managed to get that down to 9.8 (29mpg) with a bit of nanna-ish driving B) Can't wait to get the diesel back

Question: what sort of coolant should be in the car? What ratio of coolant:water?

Honda only coolant mate

Well, I've had my i-CTDi for just over a month now and it's going well. I'm regularly getting 54mpg without having to try very hard, driving nearly 600 miles each week on a mix of A & B type roads here in NZ :lol:

As well as having the only Accord i-CDTi in NZ (plenty of 2.4 i-VTECs tho), I think I've probably got the lowest mileage accord in the world ... 2005 & just coming up to 11500 miles ... just getting run in :D

So now to servicing ... Honda serviced the car at 8500 miles (not sure what exactly they did) so I plan to have another service at about 13k, and then regularly every 8-10k. Is there any where online that I can but genuine Honda parts? Or a UK dealer that will send to the Antipodes? That way I can compare costs to what Honda NZ will charge me for the parts.

Also, from doing a service search, I see that the regular 12.5k service entails oil & filter, air filter, and pollen filter ... anything else? However, I don't have either owners manual or service manual, so can someone outline when other services occur and what should be done?

Cheers, AJ ;)

Hmmm... In miles? AJ, you are so kind to our British friends! Our (petrol) 2003 AWD wagon is on about 61,300miles at the moment! However, looking at your fuel use versus ours - our wagon has probably still used a 'tad' more than yours since they rolled off the line. Is your Accord the red one I saw on TM a while back? ;)

Hey, on servicing - one thing seems to stand out like the proverbial hunterway's (you'll know what I mean) whether I'm reading it on the forums or hearing it from our mechanic... "Use ONLY Honda fluids in Hondas!" - That should probably be expanded to all filters etc. too but definitely, with the fluids - there can be only one source and that source is Honda!

And yeah, mate, if only these nice folks can come up with an owner's manual or two. Do you have the Satnav version?