What's new

service soon - what needs doing?

mattlee

Members
Reaction score
Car
Civic 2.2 i-ctdi
my service is in a couple of months and i want to start getting a few parts prior to ease the cost at the time. the car has covered 125k up to now so i would guess another 1-2k when the service is due. obviously the following will be had-

air filter
pollen filter
oil filter
oil

i want to change the fuel filter so this will be got also as its not been done in at least 2 years during my ownership. the car had its gearbox oil changed 2 years ago so am i right in thinking this should be ok?

is there anything else that may need doing?

the reason i ask is that i popped into my local Honda today and they said i will need something adjusting on the engine as part of the next service and the cost would be £430 :eek: with an MOT an extra £59 :eek:

ill be fitting the air and pollen filters myself but due to lack of space to perform oil changes etc i will be having this done at Honda. i also dont want to do the fuel filter cos ill **** it up no doubt! so again this will be done at Honda.

the car has full Honda service history so i guess/i hope its been done to their schedule although my local Honda say they can only see whats been done in its history at their workshop as all Honda dealers dont share info.

the parts will be bought from HH who have quoted me excellent prices thanks to the forum discount compared to my local dealership :p

Just a thought. Try to negotiate the cost of the MOT. I had my car recently serviced at my local Honda Garage, and they did the MOT for £40.

If you're going to be spending so much money there, they can knock off a few quid off the MOT.

You could also ring up a couple of other dealerships and see if their prices are any cheaper. You could then see if yours will price match.

ive emailed Lee at HH to see what he can do. its not that far for me to go and the parts prices were excellent so if the service costs match its worth the trip over there.

Sounds like the only thing they want to 'adjust' is your bank balance Matt.

I would do the following if it was my car and just buy the parts from Holdcroft:

0w/30 oil and filter
Fuel Filter (absolutely definitely)
Air Filter
Pollen Filter
Transmission fluid

I'd also do:

Honda longlife coolant
Brake fluid
Clutch Fluid
A/C check and regass (preferably from Honda - they charge between £40-£50 these days).
Check power steering fluid

That's total peace of mind and a major service with nothing to worry about except an oil change for at least 10k miles.

You can buy OEM service kits here for a decent price.

http://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/

Sounds like the only thing they want to 'adjust' is your bank balance Matt.

I would do the following if it was my car and just buy the parts from Holdcroft:

0w/30 oil and filter
Fuel Filter (absolutely definitely)
Air Filter
Pollen Filter
Transmission fluid

I'd also do:

Honda longlife coolant
Brake fluid
Clutch Fluid
A/C check and regass (preferably from Honda - they charge between £40-£50 these days).
Check power steering fluid

That's total peace of mind and a major service with nothing to worry about except an oil change for at least 10k miles.
it looks like a trip to HH is on the cards after they offered me a price i couldnt refuse, including a few freebies chucked in too B)

Fahad, i did think that the brake, power steering and clutch fluid could do with a change too as they have never been done in the 2 years ive owned the car and therefor dont know when it was last changed..... how often should the transmission oil be changed? this was done almost 2 years ago on my first service i had done on it.

the aircon isnt working for some reason. ive no idea what the issue is. ive had it re gassed at Honda at the cost of £60 last year and it didnt work! it was pressure tested and they tested all the electrical components and said they were all ok. the next step for them was to take the dash apart to look behind the touch screen for a fault but at a cost of £300 before parts if any were needed..... ive read on here about the sensor infront of the rad that sometimes get dirty or corroded due to its position but i couldnt get the plug off to check it! Honda wanted £97 to take it off :eek: this was one of the things that HH offered to do for free if they diagnose it as the fault which is a great thing for them to do in my eyes.
is there anything else it could be?

Personally I would do the gearbox oil every 50k miles on these cars, very easy to do and you'll notice the difference.

I always believe that if you can actually notice the difference after a fluid change, then the oil fluid must have needed changing... and that's the reason I don't agree with the long service intervals recommended by the dealers.

No idea on the AC problem.. maybe a relay or possibly the compressor is goosed?

ill leave the transmission oil then as ive done about 15k since it was last done.

the aircon is a bit of a pain tbh. Honda said everything seems to be working fine but it just isnt starting up!!!! i would hope that they checked the relays when testing the electrical parts of the system but then who knows......

i also find it hard to believe that the air filter isnt on the yearly service. its the first car ive owned that according to the manufacturers it doesnt need changing every year.... for the simple job and cost surely the car must benefit from it.

Defo do the air filter.