What's new

Short Shifter

mutsaip

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.4i Type S
I just installed my Comptech Short Shifter this afternoon. I had been long planning this for a while. It took me about 2.5hrs to do- removing the trim was a pain. I went for a spin around the hood afterwards just to test it out. It didn't seem that much more different in feel, but felt a bit meatier requiring a little more effort than before. The throw is now much shorter and a bit more direct. What I liked most was that 1st to 2nd gear in particular is much quicker and more clinical than before. Overall I am pleased for now, but I will see if it's much better the more I drive the car. H as anyone done similar?? I would like to hear the views of those that have done this mod- and problems if any.

Lots of peeps done the short shifter mod and most went computech.

interesting theres been lots (i believe on the old forum) fors and agianst this product it'll be nice to hear your views when did you get your short shifter from?

On the 4th gen, the short shifter, preloads the gear line, and this is how it creates less travel, simply takes away the play travel. But it fatigues the shifter cable.

I dont know how the 7th gen gear linkages work, but ***uming its cable then it will be the same.

Question is can you actually shifter quicker with it, or is it for feel?

I thought about this mod- for my car a OEM way means taking the gear linkage from a prelude, but i figured i can just make my shifting quicker manually by moving my handing quicker :huh:

Not that I know much abotu this sort of thing, but surely the greatest time consumer is the time it takes to engage and disengage the clutch?

Or have I missed the point?

interesting theres been lots (i believe on the old forum) fors and agianst this product it'll be nice to hear your views when did you get your short shifter from?

Yep its uber popular with the TSX boys and a few peeps on the old forum did it as well, Alan and Matt to name a couple. I was considering this but for my everyday use I decided not to due to the negative talk of them.

Haven't read about the pros and cons- just the pros on Acurazine
laugh.gif
. I bought it on ebay and had it shipped from America. Had a nice long drive today, and I found it to be firmer but still precise apart from that not much different. I didn't even miss a gear too
biggrin.gif
. But I don't rate it as a 'must do' mod.

u lot want the best feel get a CT Engineering Short Shifter with solid bushings feels great and no spongyness because of the solid bushes

hey yep DIY - comptech shortshifter way back in the DIY's

I had the same bit of kit in both my Accords, altogether probably covered 120K miles and over a span of 8 years and it's still working peachy. If installed correctly you won't have problems, just make sure that the 2 grub screws are seated all the way in.....if they don;t seat flush to the collar it means that it hasn't been located all the way up, but yes enjoy...it feeling it gives compared to stock is much more satisfying the longer you use it!

Has anyone tried the Spoon sports CL7 shifter? I just to work for spoon sports Europe So saw a few. They more so move the shifter over towards the driver but it does make a difference I have heard?

Has anyone tried the Spoon sports CL7 shifter? I just to work for spoon sports Europe So saw a few. They more so move the shifter over towards the driver but it does make a difference I have heard?
blamescl9 has recently got a short shift,but not sure if he has installed it yet..

I have the mugen one installed which Look the same as the spoon one. Great mod! Pretty easy to install. Puts the shifter back in the middle where it should of been. Shorter shifter and gear changing is lovely! Very positive. Feels more solid.

Never tried the CT one. But reading on tsx forum members seem to get some notchyness and needs a it more effort to
Change. Reason why I went mugen.