What's new

Should i buy a 150k+ 8 Gen Diesel

markquinton

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Ex 2.0 i-vtec
Hi All

I am looking for a new car and I am a bit of a Jap car enthusiast with around 5k to spend. For this a I need reliable, good looking, family transport. I am a fan of driving something that isn't so popular therefore i'm leaning towards an accord.

I have spotted what looks to be a very nice high mileage i-dtec gen 8 accord. Normally it wouldn't be found within my budget but obviously the mileage means that is just about does.

I've owned plenty of Honda's in the past and they have all been reliable but i just want to make sure i wouldn't be buying a money pit because i still consider 5k to be quite a bit of money.

Not sure if i am allowed post links to adverts so here is the description:

$_57.JPG

A Lovely 1 Former keeper example with Full Honda Service History.

Fully Loaded Model.

Serviced by HONDA Main Agents @ 13000, 27000, 52000, 79000, 102000, 116000, 127000 and 151000 in October 2014. Regular oil and filter changes have been carried out between servicing by the last (engineer) owner.

No Advisories on the last MOT.

2 Keys.

Full Spec with Sat Nav and reversing camera.

Lovely condition inside and out.

Ready to go.

I would ideally like some opinions as to whether i should steer well clear of whether these cars can easily handle the mileage and much more.

Regards

Mark

Oh and just to add it's actually just dropped in price to £4995 not the figure shown in the windscreen

Can those oil/filter changes in between services be proven?

Its been serviced 8 times in 150k miles when it should have had about 13 services so far and thats if it was done every 12k when infact its better the do oil/filter changes every 6-8k.

For the sake of saving £20 in labour on an oil change you really have to question did these oil changes actually take place or did the previous owner only change it 8 times in 150k?

I do all my own oil changes from the very first car i owned.
Im not paying someone to do something i can do myself.
I do however sign the book and staple the recipts for the parts in the book too

TheHole said:
I do all my own oil changes from the very first car i owned.
Im not paying someone to do something i can do myself.
I do however sign the book and staple the recipts for the parts in the book too
Thats good that you have the receipts as that shows you have done the changes but I wouldn't take a garages word for it especially as they will say almost anything to sell a car.

I think it will be fine they handle the miles well. Obvious thing to watch out for is DPF but that can be solved

Whichever way you look at it 150k is a lot of miles for a car. I'd be wanting to see bills for new brakes, suspension, maybe even clutch.

Might have been a taxi with those miles. Check the front end and windscreen, probably very chipped.

Think also where you are going to sell it. I reckon that could half in value in just over a year, especially if you keep putting the miles on.

Also have a look on Autotrader, you can get a lot younger car with less miles for £5k.

Petrol Accords are a lot cheaper and will have half that mileage for the same age.

How about this for £3500 only 90k miles:

Saab 9-5
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201412309860362/sort/default/postcode/nr33ap/body-type/saloon/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/maximum-mileage/up_to_90000_miles/transmission/manual/price-from/3500/radius/50/page/1/fuel-type/diesel/usedcars/price-to/5500?logcode=p

Jag X type
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201412309860362/sort/default/postcode/nr33ap/body-type/saloon/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/maximum-mileage/up_to_90000_miles/transmission/manual/price-from/3500/radius/50/page/1/fuel-type/diesel/usedcars/price-to/5500?logcode=p

Saab 9-3
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201404033035418/sort/default/postcode/nr33ap/body-type/saloon/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/maximum-mileage/up_to_90000_miles/transmission/manual/price-from/3500/radius/50/page/1/fuel-type/diesel/usedcars/price-to/5500?logcode=p

Volvo S40
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201501300553363/sort/default/price-from/3500/usedcars/radius/50/page/2/postcode/nr33ap/transmission/manual/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/body-type/saloon/maximum-mileage/up_to_90000_miles/fuel-type/diesel/price-to/5500?logcode=p

7th gen Accord
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201409207555291/sort/default/usedcars/fuel-type/diesel/price-from/3500/price-to/5500/maximum-mileage/up_to_90000_miles/page/3/body-type/saloon/transmission/manual/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/radius/50/postcode/nr33ap?logcode=p

Sorry that 150k mile Accord is just overpriced.

I've done 119k in just over 3 years in my beemer, and it's not a taxi. It's still as tight as the day I got it.

I would rather buy an honest 150k than a dishonest 50k

High mileage isn't too much of an issue as long as its been well serviced (sounds questionable on this one)

But you can't expect a car with 150k on it to be 100% reliable so if money is tight could you afford a clutch and DMF when it goes? Saying that things go wrong on lower mileage cars too, its always a bit of a gamble.

i would of put the value on the accord for no more then 3.8-4k with that high millage. Honda petrol engines are more reliable then there diesel. i think you should look into a cl9 if you got 5k you could pic one up with about 50k on the clock for that amount.

Mark Quinton said:
Thanks for all the feedback.

I am now considering this option due the fact i don't drive rocket ship miles each year. Yes it's a lot older but i'm wondering if it might be a good move.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201502070758711/sort/default/postcode/nr103sa/model/accord/page/1/usedcars/make/honda/radius/10/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew?logcode=p

What do you think?

Regards

Mark
That is the same spec and colour as my car but that has a rear spoiler and mine has the smaller bootlid spoiler. Mine is a very late 2005 with 78k when I bought it with full Honda history and I paid £2600

How about a new Civic on finance, they're giving them away at the moment. £2-3k deposit, use the rest for payments. Get a new car, no repair bills, 3yrs warranty etc.

That accord is expensive. I wouldn't pay more than 2k for it considering its age.

High miles is always a risk but with hondas you reduce the risk but that doesn't eliminate the risk. Expect to change things like clutches and discs.

150k is ok for a diesel but it will need dpf, clutch etc as with any diesel doing that mileage. I like the 8gen but only thing puts me off is the arch fill. You would need decent wheels and spacers but even then the looks not right.

My 58 plate wagon's a 137,000 mile munter and I love it to bits.

I wouldn't hesitate getting one that's done 250,000 miles but then I've had a few Accords over the years now.

As already mentioned there is a lovely Northern chap who can sort out your DPF.

I would love to get a 2008 last one ever made 7th gen Tourer Ex too as that iCTDI is still amazing and I've had four iCTDI Accords