What's new

significant power drop in hot weather

babak

Members
Reaction score
Car
2008 Accord I-CTDI
Anyone else notice a significant power drop when driving around in warmer weather?

It was ~30 C here the last few days and on a longer journey I noticed the car not pulling nearly as well as I am used to. Anyone else experience this? I'm trying to get a handle on whether it might be related to my EGR off map or if its a common thing.

i would say heatsoak if the intercooler isnt as efficient due to higher ambient temperatures. but if we are talking motorway speeds i would have thought this would not happen. pulling away from the traffic lights etc, would definitely heatsoak because of the lack of cooling (cold) air across the FMIC.

not sure what heatsoak is but definitely talking motorway speeds (~90-150 km/h)

Also you loose a couple of horses when the air con is on.

It's quite normal Stefan, diesel cars will make less power in hot conditions - remember denser air equals more power.

Is it more pronounced with diesel cars due to the turbo? I have only driven NA petrol engines thus far and while they may be a difference in really hot weather I never really noticed it to this effect.

Is it more pronounced with diesel cars due to the turbo? I have only driven NA petrol engines thus far and while they may be a difference in really hot weather I never really noticed it to this effect.

i would say it is more noticeable with diesels or turbos in general pal. found any turbo`d car ive owned to be noticeably quicker on a nice frosty morning. in saying that, just make sure there is nothing blocking your intercooler.

Must affect Mundano's more than Accords then ;)