What's new

Single exit or twin exit custom exhaust and why?

Mr CL7

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.0 petrol CL7
Question for you folks.

On my 2.0 Accord petrol I've currently got a custom single exit de-cat back sports exhaust setup with a silencer in the middle. It will be removed as I am going back to near standard as possible with the sound and music it currently makes to hardly any noise at all. I was given an option of making my new setup as a twin exit which I've never had before or sticking to the current single exit. Other than visual purposes IMO and a little bit more moola would it affect the performance in anyway compared to a single exit? Your reasons whether for or against would be much appreciated. I'm stuck in between a rock and a hard place at the moment.

Cheers

For petrol,will defo bring
some more performance mate. Even on diesel, I'm getting little more torque after twin done too.

luckboy16138 said:
For petrol,will defo bring
some more performance mate. Even on diesel, I'm getting little more torque after twin done too.
Performance is good but not to the extent of increased noise. I'm stuck..

I honestly don't see how the twin exit on the Accord really serves any purpose beyond cosmetic. If the engine was a V6 with two separate exhaust manifolds each running their own pipes to the back, then yes. But I think they put the twin outlet on the 2.4 for looks alone.

From what I gather, the twin outlet, when I had my exhaust made required extra engineering, extra work, extra cost and really, it's not doing anything more than a good, well designed single pipe would do.

Does look awesome though! :D

IMO any gains from having more flow from twins will be lost by the extra weight. If I change my exhaust I'll be going for a free flowing single. :)

Im also looking fo decent exhaust system but i will be going single exit on my 2.4

Dual exit is my preference. I just like the look, especially in winter when both pipes are condensating

I just noticed this while looking for something else.

Reason for branching into 2 pipes is that it reduces the velocity in the pipe(s). Lower velocity = lower sound

On the K24 the result is that at WOT the sound levels are very quiet considering the air-flow through the engine. I kind of like it this way, a quick car that doesn't boast about it.

@Brian - I was actually surprised at how noisy your car was at WOT with VTEC engaged. Don't get me wrong, it was a good noise but the howling was a bit unexpected.

The nicest exhaust sound I ever had on a car of mine was from my 6 cylinder '82 BMW 323i, which had separated twin exhausts. I agree with TypeR's unusual observation about the condensation looking good with twin pipes!

Jon_G said:
The nicest exhaust sound I ever had on a car of mine was from my 6 cylinder '82 BMW 323i, which had separated twin exhausts. I agree with TypeR's unusual observation about the condensation looking good with twin pipes!
Old 6 cylinder BMWs do sound lovely don't they. My uncle had an 83 323i when I was a kid. I loved it. And I too agree that condensation out of twins looks sweet! I've had friends comment that my car looks great from behind on a cold morning :D .

Jon_G said:
@Brian - I was actually surprised at how noisy your car was at WOT with VTEC engaged. Don't get me wrong, it was a good noise but the howling was a bit unexpected.
you might have been confusing the howl from the rear bearings to be an engine noise ?

i don't usually drive my cars too hard (Brian probably drove my Accord harder than i did :p), but the v6 makes a good angry growl past 4k rpm with the typhoon.