What's new

Slight rattle/roller type noise from turbo area

Pacman8184

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2 cdti sport GT
Hi. On very slight throttle on and off I have a little rattle/ roller skate type noise coming from turbo area but when revved on and off at higher revs it's not there. Car has 66k on the clock, drives fine. No smoke. Regular oil changes etc. What do you think? It's only very slight, it sounds as if the turbo is just starting to spin then stopping as I release the throttle type of noise. I know it is doing this, but my suspicion is it's the start of the turbine impeller hitting the turbo housing a bit,What does everyone else think? Thankyou.

Sure it's not just a slight boost leak somewhere? Turbo failures on these are quite rare

Actually it could be yeah as I had a mate lifting the clutch up and down to get it to bite as I have a clunk on the front. Maybe it's caused the exhaust to move a little and give out a little boost pressure?

Lifting the clutch up and down to get it to bite as there is a clunk on the front? And this caused the exhaust to move and give out boost pressure? I'm confused.

If this is the turbo, then you probably would end up replacing it with a secondhand or recon unit. So you might as well ignore potential turbo problems until it completely packs in completely!

Well it is just a suggestion, only noticed it after we had done this other check. So kind of thinking it could be the cause, my mate was a bit heavy handed with the clutch, almost stalling it a couple of times.

A knackered release bearing can also squeal

Nah it's not that, sounds nose like a little boost noise I think. It's difficult to describe without actually hearing it

The noise is coming from the turbo area where it meets the exhaust side I think, will have to get under it and have a listen.

No nothing like that. I'll have to have a closer look to be honest. I'm changing the drive shaft this week so will have a peek