Smokey and the Bandit.

Ross3r

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 I-CDTi
Good morning guys and gals.
I trust everyone had a good weekend?
I have a little question here, and am hoping someone can shed some light on this for me.
My car is a 06 plate, full service history with 62k on the clock. iCDTI.
My question is under hard acceleration if I look in my driver side wing mirror in second gear particulary I notice some gray smoke.
It's not black or blue smoke.

I know it's a diesel and diesels smoke but I have a friend who drives a newer BMW Diesel and his car does not smoke.
Am I just being paranoid?
Also don't tell me not to look in the side mirror. haha.

Cheers guys and gals.

Its usually normal, newer cars have dpf so smoke less. I wouldn't worry about it.

Sounds normal mate.

Plus one bud...

Normal bud you will notice it more now the dark nights are in due to the car headlights behind you.

Ross, what approx MPG you getting comparative to type of road your spend the most time on ( motorway / A-road / urban )

I drive only in town vary rarely getting above 50MPH
As far as MPG are concerned it's gone down from 42 to about 38.7 - 39ish.
When I was living out of town I had motorways to play on, but it's only dropped since I've moved into the city.

39mpg round town does suggest its in reasonable shape, maybe the smoke is more down to blowing the cob-webs off it from all that urban running.

I have the same problem as the OP (i.e. Ross3r)

Hmm... Frankly I am appalled by how much smoke my car is making. I have dont a Premier Tuning Stage 1 with valve off. I can't prove it because I didnt look carefully enough pre-tuning, but I am pretty suspicious that the tuning has make the smoking much worse! Even on a long-ish motorway trip (20+ miles) as soon as I touch the throttle to accelerate, there is much smoke. If I put my foot down there is so much smoke in the headlights of the guys behind me I can hardly see him! (Yes, I exaggerate but not much!)

Regarding MPG, I drive quite carefully with the vast majority of travel being motorway at present. At a steady speed, I seem to get about 48 to 50 MPG if go at 75-80MPH (although I have discovered that even a small amount of headwind can easily remove a few MPG!). So I am ***uming that there is no major fault with my engine. I am also on Winter tyres (expensive ones from Continental 830p from memory?) which may not help MPG much. So far my engine hasnt been using very much oil, plus the fact that it only smokes badly when I accelerate... so I slightly doubt that it is oil that is being burnt.

But the MPG story is complicated. Whilst I am driving at a steady speed (e.g. 80MPH) there is little smoke. But I am suspicious of what is going on when I accelerate. It looks like the engine is performing extremely inefficiently under these circumstances. Maybe there is a fault in the engine that exposes itself when I accelerate. Or maybe its that tuning...

J

Sounds normal to me....it is diesel after all.

Sounds normal to me....it is diesel after all.

On reflection surely it's about proportion - i.e. just HOW MUCH smoke!
Also... perhaps its's all about that valve-off thing!
Either way there's very few other cars on the road diesel or not that seem to smoke as much as my car does! :^/

John, if the smoking is sustained i.e. all the time and for the prolonged period of you keeping your foot on the gas, then it's indicative of an underlying problem. But if its momentary i.e. it happens when you plant your foot on the floor after cruising for some time, but then stops once its cleared itself out, then its probably normal.

EGR OFF will cause some extra smoke on initial lift off as the valve is closed and the smoke has nowhere to go but straight out the back... so I guess its all about how much you are prepared to live with.. or not.

I have the same problem as the OP (i.e. Ross3r)

Hmm... Frankly I am appalled by how much smoke my car is making. I have dont a Premier Tuning Stage 1 with valve off. I can't prove it because I didnt look carefully enough pre-tuning, but I am pretty suspicious that the tuning has make the smoking much worse! Even on a long-ish motorway trip (20+ miles) as soon as I touch the throttle to accelerate, there is much smoke. If I put my foot down there is so much smoke in the headlights of the guys behind me I can hardly see him! (Yes, I exaggerate but not much!)

Regarding MPG, I drive quite carefully with the vast majority of travel being motorway at present. At a steady speed, I seem to get about 48 to 50 MPG if go at 75-80MPH (although I have discovered that even a small amount of headwind can easily remove a few MPG!). So I am ***uming that there is no major fault with my engine. I am also on Winter tyres (expensive ones from Continental 830p from memory?) which may not help MPG much. So far my engine hasnt been using very much oil, plus the fact that it only smokes badly when I accelerate... so I slightly doubt that it is oil that is being burnt.

But the MPG story is complicated. Whilst I am driving at a steady speed (e.g. 80MPH) there is little smoke. But I am suspicious of what is going on when I accelerate. It looks like the engine is performing extremely inefficiently under these circumstances. Maybe there is a fault in the engine that exposes itself when I accelerate. Or maybe its that tuning...

J

Thanks Fahah - I shall experiment further.

I have dont a Premier Tuning Stage 1 with valve off.
Oops fot the record that was at typo - I *do* have the above!

J

noticeble when overtaking, or getting up to cruise speed? then clear ?? no probs.

It's mainly in second gear when I plant it, then in 3rd it seems not too bad as in hardly noticeable. I've not seen any smoke in 4th, 5th or 6th. I took her for a burn to a small town the other day and the acceleration seems fine.
I think some of it is just me being parrinoid.
It's not noticeable when overtaking.
Thing is, I only run Shell V-power diesel or BP Ultimate. Nothing else.
The oil I use is the Castrol good stuff. ;)

She's had a service about 2 months ago. 63K on the clock.

Mines like that but you can only really notice it in headlights at night you have to really kill it in 2nd in daylight to get alot of noticeable smoke but then it seems to clear. I spend most of my time trundling about so i expect a good cloud when it gets booted lol