What's new

Snapped front drivers side spring

Cheddars

Members
Reaction score
Car
2009 Astra Twintop
Thought Honda's were reliable? :lol:

What do you guys recommend as a decent budget make for replacement? Also do you guys also recommend replacing both the front springs in pairs?

I will be changing it myself so any tips would be appreciated. I've fitted lowering springs to previous cars so know roughly what to do but Honda's might be different

They are easier to remove because there is no top mount bearings. 3 bolts at the top and 1 on the bottom. Straight out with no fuss. Then just normal spring clamps to remove and replace.

I'd use whichever brand suites your budget. Full set of lowering springs are around £100. There are a few aftermarket springs available along side the genuine items. It comes down to how much you want to pay.

Replace them in pairs too. I would avoid cheap brands, otherwise you will be replacing twice.

The springs in your car will be 17 years old, so they have lasted very long, Honda suspensions are known to be the toughest around. ;)

Cheers guys, glad to hear they are easy to fit :D

I'm stuck between 2 different ones at the minute

One has the dimensions - length 401mm, outer diameter 100mm and coil thickness of 12.75
The other is exactly the same but the length is 392mm

I'm not too fussed about ride height and would rather go for the correct one

Springs came, passenger side is fitted, broken drivers side has defeated me

The top bolt of the shock fork is a stubborn *******. Wouldn't come off with a breaker bar and has twisted and bent the extension for it, ******. I've given up incase I shear the bolt, so chickened out and booked into garage.

Thinking about grinding the bolt off as there is a gap in the back of the suspension fork, but cant find anywhere that sells these forks

Honda cars are very reliable mate but with springs there's so many factors that conttribute to them failing.
For a start an Accord is a heavy car and the heavy cars are always more likely to snap a spring at some point. I've seen lots of BMW's and Mercedes over the years with a broken road spring. Then you have to ask how the car has been driven through it's life? Has it been driven too fast over speed humps a lot? Has it been bashed into kerbs? And finally the roads themselves play a huge part now considering the Uk's roads are all in disrepair and full of large pot holes. All these things come together to give a road spring a hard life.
Anyway i'm sure you'll soon have it sorted and driving nicely again.

Alans27 said:
Honda cars are very reliable mate but with springs there's so many factors that conttribute to them failing.
For a start an Accord is a heavy car and the heavy cars are always more likely to snap a spring at some point. I've seen lots of BMW's and Mercedes over the years with a broken road spring. Then you have to ask how the car has been driven through it's life? Has it been driven too fast over speed humps a lot? Has it been bashed into kerbs? And finally the roads themselves play a huge part now considering the Uk's roads are all in disrepair and full of large pot holes. All these things come together to give a road spring a hard life.
Anyway i'm sure you'll soon have it sorted and driving nicely again.
I think I did it a few months ago when a lorry forced it's way onto my side of the road and i hit a large pot hole because of it but have only just noticed it when there was a horrible creak. The car itself was owned by an older gent from new, he was 80 when he sold the car on, so dont think it would have been abused. I've seen alot of springs failing on Vauxhalls, fords and bmw, but never a Honda.