What's new

socket set/types

JAPIMPORT

Members
Reaction score
Car
2002 ACCORD SE
You don't SAE sockets on the Accord, only metric ones.

Also, I mostly use mostly 1/2inch sockets. Occasionally I use 1/4 sockets for smaller bolts/nuts.
I also use combination spanners, sometimes they are quite useful.

what kind of set would you have,is it draper,halfords,teng,id like to find a set that has everything i need in it,if one exists

I don't have a set, I buy the tools as I need.
Since I am in Portugal, I suppose we don't have access to the same brands.

At the moment, my tools are mostly of the brand "Dexter", which is the brand of the "AKI" supermarket chain. I think that "Leroy Merlin" also sells these tools.
Besides that, I have a breaker bar from Halfords, which seems to be quite good, and a 24mm deep socket from Draper, which also seems quite good. My feeler gauges are from Laser Tools, I have been using them for a while, and also seems quite good.

hi pedro :) ive being buying different brand socket set for years,mostly lidl aldi sets and no name brand sets,but the halfords set appeals because of the lifetime guarantee,id like to have a set that has everything i need,and will last awhile,my breaker bar is a laser and so is my torque wrench,they have being fine, :)

the halfords sockets are six-sided as well which is better as they won't round the edges off stubborn fixings

sae sockets are also known as "Imperial" .....they're fractions of inches, you need them for older British-made cars

Thanks brian for the info :) the sae sockets might come in handy one day then

For brands Halfords have a good rep, other good afforable ones are Clarke by MachineMart, Sealy, Laser and Draper Expert range.

Avoid cheap tat like Silverline, they are buy cheap buy twice brand, rubbish quality.

I've not got many ratchet spanners but i have to say the ones I do have are quite useful. However i don't trust them for those hard bolts incase they break. Very much used to finish off.

Never used them, but they be great to undo bolts in tight spaces where you can't use a proper ratchet and can't stick you fingers to undo it by hand. But as Iron Man(by the way, great nick :)) said, I don't trust them to "break loose" or tight a a bolt/nut.

I have the Halfords ratchet spanner set, but I use it very rarely TBH. If I'd known beforehand how rarely I would have spent the money on something else.