What's new

speaker upgrade

6x9 is the quick fix, you can then look to door the door speakers. But if you really want to improve it a amp bypass and components are needed. Fair bit of work and no guarantee you won't induce engine whine.

The premium have rear door speakers that's the difference. I bypassed the whole amp, stuck comps in the doors and tweeters in stock location and sub in the back. Depending on needs rear parcel and front door speakers with coaxial speakers would be ok imo? But I've not heard this setup myself

I do appreciate getting an amp would be alot better, I'd rather just have the simplicity of replacing the factory stuff with some better stuff, and keeping everything oem looking.

What i'm after is a bit more bass and less distortion from higher volume, WHICH I know is gonna be difficult with the standard HU as i'm ***uming its not going to have alot of power to drive the speaker, but if its going to produce better results than the standards, then £30-40 seems more justified...and not bank breaking.

Doesn't help I had a Vibe CBR12 in the back of my Clio, So i'm missing the bass, But I don't want to go that extreme in the Accord, like I mentioned in my Members car thread, its a comfortable cruiser back and forth work, with maybe the odd road trip, I like the grown up features of the car.

Cheers.

in that case a good start would be with replacing the speakers with better ones would improve the sound quality. The stock hu is actually very good but above approx 15 on the volume it's diminished returns as the hu starts to taper the bass a fair bit.

I'll have a gander tonight on how to remove the speakers off the shelf, then probably order a set of JBL GT6-69, reviews of it sound good, unless anyone else recommends something else.

Then i'll have a good research at replacing the door speakers, i'm not a handyman so its gonna be a bit daunting trying to take the door cards off.

Uncle_Gravy said:
I'll have a gander tonight on how to remove the speakers off the shelf, then probably order a set of JBL GT6-69, reviews of it sound good, unless anyone else recommends something else.

Then i'll have a good research at replacing the door speakers, i'm not a handyman so its gonna be a bit daunting trying to take the door cards off.
Removing the shelf speakers are very easy. Just take the cover out, It is attached with 4 clips. Then u will see the screws holding the speaker. Once again, very easy..

Sorry for the late response, I haven't even looked at it yet, Been a bit busy, hopefully i'll take a look at it on the weekend and i'll order, been told Vibe Slicks are very good, so having a little bit more research on speakers.

I've had a chat today with a car audio company who have fitted subs and amp upgrades to a number of Accords and they say the only way to do it properly is to use some sort of a bypass module (sorry I cant remember the exact term) but basically the Honda factory unit reduces the bass signal once above a certain level so it is not possible to just tap into the speaker connections and use inline convertors with an amp. They said the cheapest modeule comes at around £150 which, with the price of the amp, sub wiring etc would put it above my price range.

I might upgrade the 6x9s to see how much difference it makes as all I require is more bass

Don't you have the premium sound system in the Ex? I find the premium sound system to be awesome! Really pumps nicely.

Yes I have the premium sound system in my EX which is great up till around volume 13/14 with my sound settings and then the bass tappers off and becomes pretty weak..

I have a full 1800watt sound system in my Supra which really packs a massive punch so I am really missing some low down power

Blimey! You must love your bass :D . I suppose it depend what you're listening too, and how you like your tone. Being a sound engineer, I actually get fed up with too much low end, as I spend most of life have to fix/remove it from recordings. It's like taming a wild animal in term of production and sound engineering, so I like a solid, but not overly strong low end that leaves the sound system able to keep the lower mid range rich and detailed. The Accord's system in the exec is really good for that. I always reference mixes in the car from my laptop, via the aux input on my XCarlink and tweak accordingly before I consider put a track to bed.

I find the sound quality to be better in the accord than the supra to be fair but being a Dj I cant help finding myself looking for better low end punch. I do know what you mean by having too much bass it does tend to drown out the midrange. Perhaps by upgrading the 6x9s that might be enough to keep me happy

I've got a 1600w 12"sub in the back of my Clio with the standard 6 (blown) speakers xD

definately off topic, tell me more about the sup, as i'm looking for a new car and its on my list of many cars I want.

Its a 1996 facelift HKS big single turbo running around 570bhp

Here is a link to some pictures of it:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=3B69D991D7E17326!153&authkey=!AHRkkvrpfPXIBJM&ithint=folder%2c.jpg

Spec list:
HKS T04R turbo
avcr boost controller
screamer pipe
hks 60mm gt wastegate
hks f-con vpro gold ecu
k n N oversized air filter
sard bov
sard injectors
sard speed limiter cut
g-reddy 4 row intercooler
samco blue rad hose

Recaro driver/passenger seats
trd air bag steering wheel
3x defi gauges
afr gauge
turbo timer

abflug bonnet
abflug rear spoiler
bomex front bumper
oem skirts
trial rear
TEIN Superstreets
Uk Spec Brakes
Grooved discs all round and yellow stuff pads
HID`s
19" 5 spoke dished wheels...

pioneer dvd touch screen
inphase front and rear speakers
2x inphase amps
pioneer 3000 watt sub
infinity 6x9s

Little update,

I decided to have a little play and see how to remove the speaker, easy enough, 4 white clips hold the grill down, used a hammer to get the 2 accessible up then back in the cabin and finger tipped the grill to get the remaining two clips out.

Some advice as i've never fitted any type of speaker to a car, I'm looking at the speaker and it seems to be wired up to a block connector, will I be able to use that same block connector with the new speakers, or is it gonna involve some fettling?

Also my 6x9 seems to have no markings to what they are, and they look pretty shoddy for something that does actually sound pretty decent.

Cheers

Ive got premium sound in my ex and its not that great. Are the tweeters by the windscreen and is sticking my ear to them the only way to test?