What's new

Speaker Upgrade

mtbkim

Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer 2.2D
Hi

I recently bought a 2009 Accord Tourer, which is a great car! The only thing that lets it down, is that one front and one rear door speaker sound like they've blown? Reading on here this sounds like a common issue, so I'm happy to upgrade them.
But what to get? What size are the front and rear? How easy is it to remove the door panels (I've never owned a car this new or expensive so a little nervous about dismantling things!)
Any views welcome.
Thanks!

If your car is still under its 3 year warrenty then you will get new speakers at no cost

I bought the car end of January this year, it was registered 9th Jan 2009, so just over the 3 years :(

If you dont ask, you dont get.

Still worth asking Honda for a gesture of goodwill. You lose nothing by asking. :)

I took mine to a audio place and had the fronts and rears replaced with JBL speakers, sounds much much better. Pricey - cost about £550 but in my view worth it.

i dont if this will work,but it has done on the 7 gen accord,try replacing the speakers with bose ones from and audi s line version,javjav has done this to his and come out with really good promising results,but not sure if the speaker size on 7 and 8 gen are the same...

I might swing by a Honda dealer and ask, but don't hold out too much hope!

ukaccord, I like the idea of new upgraded speakers. Really want to know size of front & rear first before buying (and only have to remove panels once as well then)

Thanks

Hi I posted this last year, An upgrade in speakers is well worth doing.
Only had my 8th gen Tourer about a month so I'm still finding my way around it, But I did notice that the door speakers rattled and sound quality was rubbish. So I stripped a door down to investigate the speakers and was very disappointed. They call it a "Premium Sound System" well I don't know which bit is the premium bit but it isn't the speakers arguably the most important part of a sound system. If you have not seen them they are single cone plastic framed with magnets about the size of a cotton reel (about 30mm dia) hardly "Premium" After a bit of research on Quality door speakers I decided to rip out all four "Premium speakers" and replace them with Pioneer TS-E1702is and what a difference. Not cheap at about £70 a pair but well worth the effort. A bit of modification is needed but the stock speakers can utilized as a mounting ring for the Pioneers So no holes are drilled in the door or door card.

Gonna need to do this too when the warranty expires.

Happy with the sound for now- but if the speakers die once the warranty is out, which they will, they're gonna need changing anyway. Pre-emptive measures needed.

Tbo I haven't had a any problems with mine so far but this seems very disappointing from Honda to use such shody speakers

Honda told me "The reason for the blown speakers is that HONDA did not up rate the speakers to cope with the uprated premium stereo power." This makes the original speakers not fit for their purpose in my opinion :(

Before I picked up my car I turned the stereo up to check speakers and all seemed fine. When I actually picked it up and sat on a car park trying to fathom out how the sat nav worked I could tell the speakers had blown :( . I only had it on about Volume 12 which was a lot quieter than I had it on previously. I took it straight back to Blackhorse who changed the front speaker but not the two in the back as all the other cars they had were like it too :eek: . They then paid Honda to change them at a cost of £230 so I was quite happy :D

Because they replaced what was a mid bass speaker with a 2-way coax it has meant the sound was steered to the back more as there's more treble in it now. I just altered the fade a bit to compensate and its better now. ;)

I just find that the front tweeters thin the sound out too much for my liking making guitar music sound weak. The easy option would be to just add a Coax in the door on hope it sounds better but I've a horrible feeling I may need to change the tweeters as well. Hopefully the people that have changed there's can try and describe the difference in sound when doing an upgrade.

For my possible choices I'll be looking at are Focal, MB Quart, JBL or Pioneer. Focal do a component speaker where the X-over is built into the woofer then fed up to the tweeter Focal Integration IS 165

Instead of say buying 4 x £70 speakers for the 4 doors you would be better off just buying 2x £140 to go in the front as thats where you'll be sitting ;)

These Focal PerformancePC165 are top of my list. I`ll be auditioning a pair next weekend hopefully so I'll let you know how I get on.

Tbo I haven't had a any problems with mine so far but this seems very disappointing from Honda to use such shody speakers

That's probably down to you not having your stereo turned up loud enough as youve got the sweet sound of the V-tec to listen too ;)

I'm sure I read somewhere Honda has sorted the problem out now.
The accords affected are only 2008-2009 so fingers crossed.

They call it a "Premium Sound System" well I don't know which bit is the premium bit

How true, i must say this audio system compared to the wife premium Sony unit in her Ford Focus is a bit poo!

I think Honda were in 1991 when thinking a 6 CD changer was a premium bit of kit.......... rip it out and give me some more storage!! USB all the way.