What's new

Speakers

S60

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 8 gen
Hi Folks

Picked up my 2009 EX GT on Sunday and quickly discovered a blown speaker.

Booked it back in to the dealer on Thursday to have it looked at and hopefully replaced.

However scanning round on here this seems to be a common issue. Does anyone know whether they have redesigned the part to prevent reoccurance?

Whats the chances of getting both sides done?

Scott

I thought that with speakers, you have to wear them in gently, they are all prone to blowing if from new they are turned up to the maximum from new. you could ask the dealer to change both, just give the new speakers time to wear in before you wack up some drum and bass ;)

The speaker issue are 8th gen 2008-2009 after this they were rectified.
If you are still in your warrenty the dealers will replace them free of charge for the modified ones.

The speaker issue are 8th gen 2008-2009 after this they were rectified.
If you are still in your warrenty the dealers will replace them free of charge for the modified ones.

Cool Mines is a 2009 09. Got a years extended warrenty and i only picked the car up on sunday so im expecting them to replace it FOC.

Do you have any part numbers for the modified parts?

Cool Mines is a 2009 09. Got a years extended warrenty and i only picked the car up on sunday so im expecting them to replace it FOC.

Do you have any part numbers for the modified parts?

Update - its actually 3 speakers that are blown. both back door woofers and the front passenger woofer. Waiting to hear back from Western tomorrow as to when they are going to get it booked in,

Must say im a bit dissapointed in this in what was a £30k car new. Dealer so far has been quite good about it so will see what the outcome is.

Scott this what warrentys are for get the dealers to sort it job done.

Scott this what warrentys are for get the dealers to sort it job done.

Absolutely!

Its just a minor annoyance. Im really liking the rest of the car. Discovered the iPod/iPhone control last night after a bit of a RTFM session. Its the best aplle integration ive seen to date. Very impressive interface and the sound quality seems excellent (once the speakers are fixed anyway).

Absolutely!

Its just a minor annoyance. Im really liking the rest of the car. Discovered the iPod/iPhone control last night after a bit of a RTFM session. Its the best aplle integration ive seen to date. Very impressive interface and the sound quality seems excellent (once the speakers are fixed anyway).

Car went in today to get the rear speakers investigated. They replaced the blown front one but Came back with there being nothing wrong with the rears - which is nonsense. Dragged the service guy out to hear them distorting at a low volume setting. Seems ok to me he says what setting have you got it on? It's faded to the back and quite clearly that speaker there is distorting ( me pointing to the door speakers )

I'll have to speak to the technicians again then says he. ok I said so you will call me in the morning? No I'm at a head office meeting it might befriday before I call you and I need to do it cos I do all the warranty claim. Told him I wasn't happy with that. He Says there's nothing I can do so will call you on Friday.

Not happy at that at all! Car was booked in today to have the read door cards taken off and the speakers investigated. Clearly not done.

Car went in today to get the rear speakers investigated. They replaced the blown front one but Came back with there being nothing wrong with the rears - which is nonsense. Dragged the service guy out to hear them distorting at a low volume setting. Seems ok to me he says what setting have you got it on? It's faded to the back and quite clearly that speaker there is distorting ( me pointing to the door speakers )

I'll have to speak to the technicians again then says he. ok I said so you will call me in the morning? No I'm at a head office meeting it might befriday before I call you and I need to do it cos I do all the warranty claim. Told him I wasn't happy with that. He Says there's nothing I can do so will call you on Friday.

Not happy at that at all! Car was booked in today to have the read door cards taken off and the speakers investigated. Clearly not done.
Try another dealers Scott if there is one near.If you dont get any joy give HUK a call and kindly ask there advice.

Nearest alternate dealer is Glasgow. Ill be on to the md if I don't get any satisfaction.

Keep at them Scott. A real PITA I know... but ...

Keep at them Scott. A real PITA I know... but ...

Ok back in with the car today with the "Technician" looking at it. Both him and the service guy standing there giving me the "There is nothing wrong with it" chat. I looked at them both blankly and said surely you can hear that both those speakers are blown. They are distorting like mad????

Service guy then says ok we will call it to Honda as a customer complaint but it will take till the end of the week until I can back to you s they have a 48 hour turnaround.

Fairly well pee'd off with this now that's the 4th time I've had it back to them.

Phone Call to Honda UK tomorrow me thinks.

So I had a issue with the drivers side speaker on my 59 plate accord. Got it booked in and checked and they agreed that is was blown and would be replaced under warrante. (Funny thing was the technician could not detect the fault with the test cd, but picked up on it driving it back round)

Anyway speaker was replaced, no worries, but the sound was still poor.

So in the end I had all the speakers changed (except the woofer and front center dash) with aftermarket ones buy a local fitter who does lots of work for Honda, and that's the best £500 pounds I have ever spent. I have the old speakers and the magnets are really small (think 50p size) but the disturbing thing, is pushing the cones in and out you can feel it's not smooth, but kinda gritty feeling. As I aim to keep the car longer term, I think this was a good investment. I can now turn it up almost all the way without distortion and the sounds reams clear with a reasonable amount of base.

Good feedback Tony my speakers are fine but im sure Honda modified them after the 2009 model.

Would be interested to know what the size of the magnets are on the newer speakers that you have Brett. They are all the same, so if you take a look at the ones on the parcel shelf from inside the boot you should be able to tell. More curious that anything else.

Would be interested to know what the size of the magnets are on the newer speakers that you have Brett. They are all the same, so if you take a look at the ones on the parcel shelf from inside the boot you should be able to tell. More curious that anything else.
Very true Tony i will get some photos up when i get my car back from the repair centre.

I had my rears and drivers side blow. I had them changed then up rated them with focals. To my surprise the new replacement speakers were the same ***** type that were in originally in. I think they may have had a slightly bigger rubber surround. I was expecting them to be the orange dual cone type like in the accessory book but no!

I did heat the old speaker up of the gas hob to take them apart and then use them as an adapter for the new speakers. I was supprised at how easy the cones melted :blush: It worked a treat though ;)

I was looking at Focals too, but it was going to come in around £800 so I got mid range Hertz. The guys made new mounts out of mdf to fit the speakers in. They were also supposed to use some of that sound proofing material, but I have not removed the door cards to check....

I looked at Hertz but I`d never heard a set so I got the focals 2nd hand off ebay so it wasnt too bad. I knew the new versions were £200 and the ones I bought were the previous model so still pretty good. Id also got some Dynamat stuff to put behind the doors too which did make a bit of a differance. It just tightens the sound up and stops the doors from humming.

Ive got some Phoenix Gold Ti 6 speakers that retailed originally for £800 but I need to fit my amps to power them as they're 300w RMS. I keep meaning to sell my kit but never get round to it. :blush:

On the same subject, I have a 08 Accord and I am pretty sure that the passenger front speaker is blowing especially listening to a vocal only station such as Radio 5.

My question is whether Honda will entertain such an issue even if the car is out of warranty as this issue has been known to them since the car has been on the road?

And for anyone who has had speakers replaced by a third party, which one do you recommend as I want my car to be looked after and not torn to shreds by somebody incompetent!