What's new

Speedo problem

Dan Ingram

Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer
Hi all.

I'm having a bit of a problem with the speedo on my '07 2.2 diesel tourer and it seems to be getting worse. It used to be that if I accelerated hard to 70-80 mph from about 50 then let off the accelerator the needle would just drop to 0mph then flicker about a bit then after a few seconds it would settle to where it was supposed to be. Every so often it would flicker a bit but then settle back to normal. Now it seems to be doing it whenever it likes at whatever speed it likes.

I had a new clutch and fly wheel fitted by my friend whos a mechanic a couple of months ago, thinking it was something he'd done I've taken it back to him a couple of times to see if he can work it out. He says he can't see any bad wires and all the connections are good as far as he can tell. Also every time he test drives it it typically doesn't do the fault. He's on holiday now for a few weeks so I can't take it back for a bit but i'm going to see if I can sort it.

Does anyone know how the speedos work exactly on these cars? Is it a sensor in the gearbox or on the wheels? Does the sensor go straight to the clocks or via the ECU?

Any suggestions on this would be great as its begining to get a bit annoying

Speedo sensor goes in the gearbox I believe, it's probably related to that.

Welcome by the way

As Fahad said and welcome to TA.