What's new

Spent money but still ha ha

AndyHK

Members
Reaction score
Car
06 Accord Executive
Want to share my experience
You read it right, usually I feel sad to see my hard earn money to leave my wallet, but not today.

I had problem with the battery, HFT and alarm in the last few months since I bought the car at the end of February.
New battery had installed 4 months ago, but still struggled to start the engine everyday. HFT never worked. False alarm many times and the keys wouldn't shut it up......Eventually I made up my mind and visit the Honda dealer 38 miles away this morning.
The mechanic said that the faulty HFT is to blame for the loss of the electricity, not the alternator. He disconnected it from the navigation system as I don't need it, and I'm not willing to spend £1600 for a new unit
The false security alarm problem was came from the old dead battery 4 months ago, he explained that the key MUST be removed from the ignition completely before attempts to perform the jump-start, even though if it was in the OFF position, but it will still trigger the problem. He advise me to get a second hand one instead of £800 for a new item
I've seen many members here mentioned about the ecu update/upgrade, he said that was correct about it, because Honda reckoned the car will have better performance after the update/upgrade. And so he done it for me as well, I could tell the car is definitely running with extra horses, so responsive and smooth. The extra torque made it picked up the pace quickly!
1.5 hours at Honda and cost me £60 but gained some useful advise, then another £40 for the alarm unit. Although it's quite a lot of money to me, but I've no regret to this trip

I'm living in Northern Ireland, not the mainland mate. So it might not be in your consideration I'm afraid.
I've met some good and bad dealers here (not only Honda), it's the same in elsewhere of the mainland I believed, depends on how lucky you're

edgeoftime said:
Can someone explain how to jump start with the ignition key not in the start position??
X2, was asking the same thing

edgeoftime said:
Can someone explain how to jump start with the ignition key not in the start position??
I suspect you need to Connect your jump leads, leave it to charge the battery for a while then disconnect them before inserting the key and starting the car.

I had to jump mine a while back when my old battery let me down. The remote locking has not worked since..... I guess I had the keys in as well, d'oh. I've not bothered to get it sorted yet as I foresaw a large expense, but if it is only a £60 re-flash that is required maybe I'll swing by my dealer for a chat.

Thanks for the info.

Osiris said:
I suspect you need to Connect your jump leads, leave it to charge the battery for a while then disconnect them before inserting the key and starting the car.
Close but not quite

Here is the proper procedure below which the mechanic told me to.

Remove your key from the ignition completely.
Then connect the both ends of the jump leads to the battery and the external power source.
And now, you can safely insert the key even though if the battery is still charging.
Attempt to fire up the engine.

Maybe the explanation in the first place was not quite clear, but here is THE APPROVED METHOD, connect jump leads to your battery positive, and then to chassis/engine negative, not to battery negative, the go to donor car battery and go pos to pos and neg to neg, get into your car put key in ignition and attempt start.