What's new

Spent the day in a 61 plate 2.2 i-DTEC

Stevearcade

TA Friend
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
2003 Accord CM2
My 7th Gen 2.4 was in for it's annual service today. A fairly big one with most fluids and filters replacing as well as cleaning and re-greasing brakes and other bits and bobs. Nice surprise when I arrive, there's a 61 plate 2.2 i-DTEC waiting for me as a courtesy car. Racked up about 100 miles of country driving and A-Road with the Mrs and boy in the car. Put the car through it's paces somewhat.

The cabin is incredible. I love the 7th gen, but there a little niggles I have after 3 years that have all been ironed out with the 8th Gen. Things like the snug-ness of the seats, the position of the sat nav screen (now shielded from sunlight), the angle/height of arm rest in relation to the gear stick, the size/feel of the steering wheel and more. I was truly bowled over with how nice the car was to sit in and use. And the reversing camera :D ! How great is that! Also the back seats have lots more room and fitting the boy's child seat, and subsequently fitting the boy into the child seat was so much easier. There was more head room and leg room for sure and the rear doors felt larger. Really nice cabin indeed. Only grumbles are a few too many bleeps and things. Like pulling up to park, the Mrs undoes her seatbelt and it starts beeping like crazy. The little lights telling me to shift up/down all the time, that's annoying too.

The handling too was superb. I mean it really feels smaller than it is. It sticks to the road like glue, like a little hot hatch, or a rear wheel drive car and you can really chuck it around. It's a little stiff on bumps, but it's more than worth it for the cornering benefits gained from the stiffness.

Overall, I was seriously impressed. What a great car. The only let down for me was the engine. The 2.2 was a versatile and responsive engine, but just didn't have that oomph or sizzle that you get from the 2.4 petrol. The torque was great though. Could really hammer it off roundabouts and stuff. Really helped keep the car grounded through the bends. But like I said, just lacked that certain something for me. The mileage wasn't bad. A consistent 41mpg, which I calculated, for me, would mean 2 and a half tanks less a year compared to my 2.4. Not worth the saving in my opinion if I'm honest. The extra fuel is worth the fun for my amount of driving. If I did more motorway stuff though, I'd probably have one.

So to conclude, for my tastes, the 8th gen 2.4 must be an absolute monster of a machine B) . A real treat to drive and if the handling is the same and all the toys are the same, it is a car that seriously punches above it's weight (and price bracket).

Just a shame it looks like it's trying to be a German car :p . I still think the 7th Gen tourer with tinted windows, nice alloys and subtle lowering is one of the nicest looking cars on the road and for me, the 8th Gen doesn't look as nice. But still, what a great car, could definitely see myself owning an 8th gen 2.4 in the future. Nice one Honda.

:)

nice review, looks & cost still put me off them a bit though. 20's and slammed methinks :ph34r:

Nice review Steve although I would disagree on two points you make. First, its nothing like a German looking car and nor does it pretend to be. Personally, I think it looks a lot better than the overpriced junk from Deutschland :lol:

And secondly, the point about the engine. I have the same and I think its a dream - pulls like there's no tomorrow, smooth, refined and at idle, is barely audible. And the soon to arriver 1.6 I-DTEC will be even better too. And yep, that torque is just so tasty :D

Yep the 2.4Ex is a great car. The only trouble is finding one. When we bought our tourer last year there were only 2 avialable in the whole of the UK - I looked for 6 weeks to find one. They are also a great deal cheaper to buy second hand than the diesels (although we will get letter at resale - but we will keep ours for a long time hopefully).

The engine did pull and keep pulling for sure, and yes it was smooth. I wouldn't say it was almost silent at idle. Compared to other Diesels yes, but not my 9 year old 2.4. That's a noticeably quieter and smoother engine for sure. But then you'd kind of expect it to be I guess being a 2.4 petrol. It has a deep and low resonance at low revs, which you can't beat, comes from the sheer size :D . But the 2.2 is an awesome motor, but like I said, just lacked that fizzle you get from a petrol for my tastes. But as far as Diesels go, I think this technology is really taking it to the BMWs and Audi's of this world who consider themselves the king of the Diesel markets.

And I honestly can't stress how much I enjoyed chucking this heavy, large front wheel drive diesel into corners only to find it sticks like glue and felt as light as a VW golf or something. Seriously fun, yet classy. Honestly, I'm more impressed with this than I thought I would be, and the impression it made is sticking with me. I've got to try and convince myself my 2.4 is the legendary car it is and not be tempted to sign up to some monthly payments I probably can't afford :lol: .

Great write up dude!

Brett's gonna be smiling from ear to ear when he sees this :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)

Lol o yes baby you must try the 2.4 manual but there very hard to get hold of.
Don't go down the auto rout as there no comparison on the petrol 2.4

Don't worry Brett, I'm manual for life mate ;) . The garage knows it too and never give me a automatic courtesy car :lol: . The 2.2 I had above was a manual. I love the shape of the gear stick on the 8th gen too. Really nice and comfy. I'm not in any position to get a new car at the moment. So if they're hard to come by, I might never get the 8th Gen 2.4 when I finally come to replace my 7th gen :( .

Questions though mate, what is the button on the rear view mirror for? The standby button. It made a light come on, but that's all I could see it doing? Is it something to do with night driving? If so, what.

:)

Thats the auto dimming mirror.

Can be switched on/off. Quite why anyone would turn off a novel feature like that is beyond me!