What's new

Spoon bushes kits (subframe + steering rack)

dinoc

Members
Reaction score
Car
2008 Accord Type-S
These are the two kits I've bought some time ago:

Spoon subframe rigid collar kit (made for CL9) :

spooncolarrigidbushkit.jpg

A video description of what it does can be found here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWyUD6UXfog

and

Spoon steering rack bushing kit (made for Euro-R only - found that later ...)

spoonsteeringrigidbushe.jpg

A description found on the internet "Replaces the factory rubber steering rack bushings for a more direct steering feel. Increasing front tire size wears out the factory rubber bushings quickly and increases steering play. Using rigid steering bushings produces a more linear steering response."

Here is where the subframe rigid collar kit bushings are being installed (replacing the OEM rubber ones):
finaloutput2.png

finaloutput3.png

And here is where the bushings for steering rack gos in (replacing the rubber ones) :
There are 4 aluminum bushes (which are being installed in pairs of two - bellow and on top of the steering rack - notice the yellow arrows) and an aluminum collar kit - red arrow)
finaloutput.png

Now the bushes fitted fine , except for the aluminum collar kit (red arrow) which is bigger than the OEM rubber !
And then I took a more close attention to install instruction and noticed the difference , can anyone spot it ?
Here is the subframe from Euro-R
a3c3a3cca3b7a5eaa5b8a5c.jpg

... the Euro-R has EPS (Electric Power Steering) .... as the CL9 doesn''t as we have hydraulic one

Here are the differences in size between OEM rubber collar for CL9 and the Spoon aluminum collar for Euro-R
img20121108113349.jpg

img20121108113419.jpg

img20121108113448.jpg

img20121108113525.jpg

This is where it should be installed (pics from Euro-R)
8ed88ebc8ede8eaf8ec48ec.jpg

e382b9e38386e383aae382b.jpg

So I've ended up putting the rubber collar back on an leave the aluminum bushes .

I've sent an email to Spoon ask them if they are willing to make a new collar for CL9 with my measurements but so far I've got no answer and frankly I'm kind of skeptical they will ... tough they could make money by selling CL9 kits (as I was the guinea pig for this) :)

Anyway at the same time the a new clutch was installed and also the 4.7 Final Drive and the Wavetrac LSD .
And a new wheel alignement was done, also .

For now the overall feeling of the car is that it rides smoother on the uneven roads and the steering feel got heavier .
I'm still wondering how much difference the aluminum collar will make ... if Spoon won't do nothing I think I might try to make that collar to a local shop ...

The feeling of LSD and Final Drive is another story :)

Vety nice dude. This is a mjot mod indeed. Top marks for taking this on and using your car as a test subject lol.

I can only imagine the type of handling improovements you will get. I certainly know spoon are market leaders in what they do and there products are very good quality. Watched so many videos including the spoon accord on youtube and was amazed at the handling.

Do keep us updated on the spoon response and whether they will make you a new collar, I would of thought the EURO R would of been hydrolic steering like the ATR.

I sometimes find the stock setup on the accord is a little non responsive for feedback but having this will really bring you to the ground. You must feel everything the wheels are doing as well as all the road surface. I wouldn't mind a sllightly heavier steering tbh, too light and you will loose some feedback.

Still amazed at what you have taken on, this is major surgery for any car. Definitely worth a rep point.

Well done pal and do keep the mods coming.

This is fascinating stuff man. I really like the idea of those subframe things that tighten up the chassis. Are they expensive?

I've got them from sombody who bought them from japanparts.com but you can get them from your local UK spoonsportseurupe.com.

in fact it might be better to buy them from UK as I've tried to get some help with that collar (asked them to talk to spoon about the issue) and first thing they asked me was if I bought the kit from them an after I've got no reply.

Japanparts didn't help either and I've got no response from Spoon Japan.

they somehow need to think big, as CL9 is more popular than Euro-R which was sold only in Japan.

They can use my info to build a proper 100% CL9 compatible steering rack bushing kit.